Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the tone they put out... But i was wondering if i could eliminate the raspiness.

I was thinking of eliminating the resonators. I honestly don't what would happen if i do.

The other option is was going with the Hearttrob Cat bat H pipe.
The question is To Flowpack or not to Flowpack

i Found this Thread

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-gt-tech/277494-roush-axle-back-heartthrob-cat-axle.html

I guess my question is to delete the resonators on stock h pipe >> will it work >> or make it more raspy ??

Or just pay the extra cash and get the hearttrob h pipe >>> but with flowpack not no flowpack

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I don't think that there is a real way to get rid of the raspy sound. I had roush axle backs for about three weeks. I do have an off road x pipe which only makes it worse but I got rid of them and I am now using the stock axle backs. I think that with the stock h pipe is the least possible raspyness.

·
Registered
295 Posts
You probably would prefer the GT500 AB's. I'm thinking about heading that direction.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
You probably would prefer the GT500 AB's. I'm thinking about heading that direction.
I think that's what I'm going to get eventually.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Search YouTube, anyone and everyone who has removed the resonators has put them back on it seems. Without them it makes any set up sound like $hit. Go with the GT500 mufflers. Have had mine for a few thousand miles now and they've gotten a tad louder and sound like the car should have out the factory.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
OP, I have the Roush ABs, and you're right -- they are raspy, particular when the windows are open. IMO, they sound perfect with the windows sealed up.

If you want loud without raspy, you'll probably have to go with a different exhaust.

·
Registered
579 Posts
If your still running the Factory H pipe I've been told that just switching to an X pipe smoothes things out. Probably why companies like Borla sell them with there Cat Back Systems.

I also brought up there difference with a few of the local exhaust shops I've known here since there early 90's.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its not that I don't like the raspyness ... I do.... just want a deeper rublem... so I'm going to some advise from everyone ....
step one ... heartthrob h pipe with flow pack
step two ... possible gt500 mufflers if need

Ill be looking to do it late July early August
ill post some vids

Thais everyone

·
Registered
190 Posts
I did Pypes pype bomb system. Was great and sounded alot like my buddies Roush set up. I removed resonators and it got raspier. Put stock AB's back on. They sound better than stock with the reso's removed. Next step is trying Shelby AB's as I have heard with reso's removed they sound awesome. We'll see...

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Any idea how it would sound if the rasonators are removed from the stock h pipe ?
It will make it slightly louder and that is it...
Not worth the effort of removing them...

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I have GT500's with my resonators deleated & they sound awesome!

·
Registered
8 Posts
love my Roush

you guys realize it is a performance car...my Harley rumbles...my Mustang flies:kooky:

·
Registered
82 Posts
thedarkside -- what is a "Roush Extreme Axle Back" (from your sig)?

AFAIK, they only have one type for the 2011+. No?

·
Registered
680 Posts
I would actually suggest doing catless midpipes, but have larger resonators welded in closer to the rear exit. Any exhaust shop can do it for ~$100. On my GTO I had Spintech mufflers (think Roush/SLP loudmouths etc) with longtube headers and catless mids (resonators removed). It was way too raspy. Adding longer resonators closer to the mufflers made the car sound like a real muscle car, perfect combination of deep rumble and screaming at WOT.

If you are thinking that removing the resonators alone will reduce rasp that would be incorrect. If anything it will make the car raspier.

On this car I plan to do Mac axlebacks (check out the clips on Youtube) and a lethal offroad X pipe. I'm hoping this will give me a similar sound.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I've had the. Heartthrob h pipe with flow packs on now for a month and 2k. Miles later
a lot louder at cold start it sounds a little deeper . Still raspy..and that's ok it a muscle car
slight drone at 2k rpm. And 1.5 MPG boost on freeway at 70 MPH
very happy with mod will post vids. Soon currently on phone for innternet

·
Registered
376 Posts
Just ordered a set of GT500s to replace my Roush. The Roush are a little too loud and I would always be trying to shift to a higher gear to get the revs down(and the noise).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts