Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I got sick of my spine being in pain after long trips because of the stupid headrests so I took matters in to my own hands with great results.

Before:

After:

Method:

The posts stayed straight, the seats now feel amazing, and I recommend this to anyone who is uncomfortable due to the headrests.

·
Registered
206 Posts
about how much pressure do you think is needed. Do you think I will be able to do this by hand?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
about how much pressure do you think is needed. Do you think I will be able to do this by hand?

Bending the arms required an absurd amount of pressure; you probably can't do this by hand.

Maybe you could use a floor jack under a pickup truck with a bunch of wood blocks to make it happen.

You could probably also go to a machine shop and ask to use the press for a few minutes for a few bucks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was just thinking about this today. I have to tilt the seat back so far that I feel like I'm slipping back while driving. I get that the head rests are meant to prevent whiplash, but the headrests are at a bit of an odd angle for driver comfort. Hopefully there's a way to do this without having to use that machine you posted earlier.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
So... I got sick of my spine being in pain after long trips because of the stupid headrests so I took matters in to my own hands with great results.

The posts stayed straight, the seats now feel amazing, and I recommend this to anyone who is uncomfortable due to the headrests.
Just curious how tall you are? I figure they have to design these for an average driver and at 6' I probably am a tad taller than that imaginary average which is probably why the rests hit me in a funny place too. I sit relatively upright and I don't want to mess with head rest too much as I don't want to defeat the safety functionality, but I also don't like feeling the edge of the rest brushing the back of my head all the time.

The end result looks good there. :bigthumbsup About how much do you think you changed the angle and was it hard getting both sides to match?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Looks good! :bigthumbsup

How many degrees did you bend the shafts? (or inches as measured at the end of the shafts?)

·
Registered
532 Posts
... I get that the head rests are meant to prevent whiplash, but the headrests are at a bit of an odd angle for driver comfort...
Remember, it is more important that the nanny state impose rules and create bureaucracies than it is for you to be comfortable ;)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just curious how tall you are? I figure they have to design these for an average driver and at 6' I probably am a tad taller than that imaginary average which is probably why the rests hit me in a funny place too. I sit relatively upright and I don't want to mess with head rest too much as I don't want to defeat the safety functionality, but I also don't like feeling the edge of the rest brushing the back of my head all the time.

The end result looks good there. :bigthumbsup About how much do you think you changed the angle and was it hard getting both sides to match?
I am 6' 2" and also vastly prefer a more upright seating position than the headrests expect. I figured out what a 'good' driving position is from years of sliding around a RWD car without power steering in all weather conditions.

As for messing with the 'safety intent' of the headrests: If you sit in a new Ford Fusion or Focus, the headrests aren't nearly as intrusive because that car expects an upright seating position. So if your going to sit up, I think is OK to change the headrests accordingly.

I moved the ends of the shafts probably 1 1/4"- 1 1/2". It was very easy to get both sides to match. It’s a hydraulic press, if you press the same distance both times, both parts come out the same. I pressed until the bars were horizontal in the 'Method' picture.

·
Registered
147 Posts
What time is good for me to drop by so you can fix mine? :winks
Looks good.... gotta get that done.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
im 6 foot 5 and i dont mind the head rest angle. i think it also looks pretty damn cool tilted forward that way, especially when you are cruising with the windows down.

·
Registered
149 Posts
good work. this will be the first thing I do when I get my car. The current headrest tilts too forward and very uncomfortable.

I even think this might be a safety issue since people have to drive in bad poise and become tired much easier than regular driver. And driving in fatigue kills.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I am 6' 2" and also vastly prefer a more upright seating position than the headrests expect. I figured out what a 'good' driving position is from years of sliding around a RWD car without power steering in all weather conditions.

As for messing with the 'safety intent' of the headrests: If you sit in a new Ford Fusion or Focus, the headrests aren't nearly as intrusive because that car expects an upright seating position. So if your going to sit up, I think is OK to change the headrests accordingly.

I moved the ends of the shafts probably 1 1/4"- 1 1/2". It was very easy to get both sides to match. It’s a hydraulic press, if you press the same distance both times, both parts come out the same. I pressed until the bars were horizontal in the 'Method' picture.
Awesome, I appreciate the additional info and think your logic is sound regarding the comparision to the other cars. If we were able to nominate a tip of the week thread this one would be my vote. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
826 Posts
I like the factory head rests right where they're at, perfect IMO.

I think all you guys having issues are just sitting too upright, forcing the head rest to point forward. I'm 6'1" and when I lean my head back about 1/2", my head sits just right on the head rest.

Almost every other car I've been in you have actually to lean your head/neck backwards at an uncomfortable angle to reach the head rest, thereby not actually being a head rest that will save you from whiplash if you get rear-ended by another car.

The only other car I've had that had a properly placed head rest was a VW Golf R32 in 2004.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Just curious, if you are rear ended by a large vehicle and now you have neck damage, will the driver and passenger still be covered by insurance with an altered head rest?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Just curious, if you are rear ended by a large vehicle and now you have neck damage, will the driver and passenger still be covered by insurance with an altered head rest?
Short answer, yes.

Long answer, the opposing council might claim you share some responsibility, but I think in the past they've had poor results from that argument, even when people aren't wearing seat belts.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts