Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i watched 2 sports car club of america event last weekend (free!)at infineon raceway/sears point and it was great so today i even watched formula drift today. (it was hella fun, and vaughn gittin won driving the 2010 mustang)

so after watching that i really want to bring out my 5.0 its got h/c/i/plus alot of engine mods,roll cage,race seats with harness,and lower springs, this month i will be doing sn95 brakes with 1999+ pbr calipers and stainless steel brake lines.

so back on topic, im 16 years old and i live in California/bay area/north bay/Marin and want to get my car out on the track i dont even care if im going against people i just wana push it to its limit,so im asking how to get on a race track in northern California with out spending alot of money

thanks for reading this long post

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
First of all could one of our administrators please move this to here:

Road Racing Forum | AllFordMustangs.com

Anyway, I am in the same boat as you! (I have a few years on you, but not that many :smoke:) I drove on a track for my first time when I was 20 and I was hooked, hooked bad. I was half hooked before I actually did it, it looked like so much fun.

The downside is that track time gets really expensive, really fast. You may check into NASA events, I don't know anything about them, I'm sure others will. Here is the link their site:
http://www.nasaproracing.com/

What I do is SCCA Solo II (autocross). This doesn't have the high speed and high banks of road racing, but it is a ton of fun, will teach you how to handle your car on the edge, a chance to spend time with a bunch of cool fellow race cars guys, and best of all it can be done on a very low budget.
2 or 3 times a year I try to attend driving schools at real road courses, or attend open track days. Even this is not cheap, but it is 100% worth it.

One more note, don't be messing around with brakes. If you plan on doing any track time you need at least 13" front brakes. I have '01 Bullitt brakes (same as Cobra brakes) on the front of mine and I love them.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
I'll move it in just a sec.

Road racing is like no other type, in that you have an adrenaline rush for 20 minutes rather than 13-15 seconds like in drag racing. But it's not for everybody.

#1, don't think you're going to get out there and push it to the limit at 16 years old. I'm not knocking your age, it's just that you don't have much experience to know what's going on with the car from a seat-of-the-pants feel. With experience, you'll learn that. Take it slow and easy and learn what your car can do.

#2, if you have a 1993 or older Mustang that has stock brakes, don't expect to go that fast for too long (maybe 2 laps) or you'll wind up cracking up your car against the guardrail, or going offroading, or hitting other cars. The stock brakes will fade really quick and then you'll be in a world of hurt.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh yeah i would not dare to take out my car with the stock brakes now that would be scary,and im expect somthing to probably go wrong(over heating, breaking somthing)

so how much does like a day of racing add up to $$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Banned
12,436 Posts

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Ya know, I was checking out the NASA site and their HPDE program sounds like just the ticket for you. They even have a special northern CA division!

It even sold me, I think I'm going to try to go to a couple events this coming year (providing I have a car with a motor in it :bigthumbsup)

·
Registered
190 Posts
anything like this on the east coast?

·
Registered
190 Posts
just checked nasa...Highly impressed...coulda used a different acronym though. If someone has a NASA decal on their car, people will think you are an astronaut

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Whatever works :smoke:

I have never attended one of their events either, but I am really hoping this coming summer's work schedule will permit me to attend an event or two :yup:

·
Registered
331 Posts
guys there are other events than NASA that are cheaper. Down in so cal there is speed ventures, red line etc.. to name a few. I get emails of them heading up to nor cal also. Speed ventures is a good group of guys its, not as much as Nasa. No membership fee, the tech inspections is done by you, 2 down loads only( this is a drivers meeting after each run where basically people complain) Nasa every time you run you have to do a download that I have learned very little at. It is very beginner based/safety only. You can pass with a wave by anywhere on the track. where as Nasa you can not until you are in hpde 4. This blows cause that is where the knowledge comes from not following some slow drivers half way around a track to a straight to pass. The down load classes get in the way of important things like checking your oil, lug nuts and tire pressure.

Nasa is a cool don't get me wrong but after a few hpde 1 and 2's go hit a speed ventures event at the same track and you will see it is better for someone who can drive the lines on the track safely.
The bad about speed ventures is its not really for beginners unless you have a buddy that knows the track. The instructors at Nasa are far better than the level black guys at speed venture. When I did my first speed ventures event I went in what would be hpde 3 and the drivers had no clue the lines on the track I mean 20 out of 22 did not know. That is where nasa shines.
Go do Nasa hpde 1 for a weekend move to hpde 2 by the end of the weekend then do the same track with speed ventures. Sign up for any class cause if you want to move up or down just tell them and its done unlike Nasa which in my opinion hold skilled drivers back as they blend in with the rest.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.