Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know much about my mustang really but I do know it needs more power. Besides getting cold air intake. what are other things I can have done to have more power. I have a 2004 3.8 v6

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
how fast do you want to spend?

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I would suggest adding 2 more cylinders lol.

On the V6 I'd say do a K&N drop in, and rear gears. If you need a new nengine hen get a 4.2. If you need a new auto trans, swap to 5 speed. Anything else imo is just not a good bang for your buck.

·
Registered
286 Posts
If you are willing to spend a little bit more, you can go with Headers and an exhaust, and maybe a tuner, SCT makes good ones. one the other hand everything else that everyone else has said are all good ways to gain power, without breaking your bank.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
or you could trubo it.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
just get some gears and call it a day.
If you really want to go fast and dont care how much you spend, then built motor ported heads, turbo kit and all the needed fuel/tuning accompanied. Could spend 10k+ easily if you dont do the work yourself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Or you can buy the adaptor plate that allows you to put the 03/04 cobra s/c on it :smilie

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
gears and limited slip differential (t-lock) and have a shop do it.. very good first mod.. once you get used to it, or learn more about mustangs and cars in general, you can get into some more serious mods

·
Registered
4 Posts
To get a v6 running pretty good without going extreme should be something like headers, cold air, dual exhaust(get rid of those 4 catalytic converters and get two high flow cats at a shop), t-lcok and 3.73 gears. Might as well get a shift kit as well(like $74) and get it all tuned correctly. If you are not going to decide you want to race everyone in the world then that would at least be fun.

·
Registered
20 Posts
gears and limited slip differential (t-lock) and have a shop do it.. very good first mod.. once you get used to it, or learn more about mustangs and cars in general, you can get into some more serious mods
hey btw, kind of on topic but not rlly is that a roush front fascia you got there markstang? cause i was going to pick up one soon for christmas, and was also wondering if i needed to get the side skirts or rear bumper, or if it will still look good with the stock skirts and rear, but just the roush front.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree the rear is the best place to start. Swap out to an 8.8 from a GT. Then when you start adding power to the engine the back end will hold up. Plus the up graded gears and posi will get you going a bit faster. It will give you a little time while you take your time deciding what you really want to do. This is what I am planning because I don't know exactly what motor build setup I want to do. Doing add ons when you are not sure what you want to end up with will just eat your cash and leave you with a lot of extra add ons that may go to waste on your end product.

But a programer might be good. There are a few out there that work on multiple engine types. But trust Shine he has gone where we want to be.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
hey btw, kind of on topic but not rlly is that a roush front fascia you got there markstang? cause i was going to pick up one soon for christmas, and was also wondering if i needed to get the side skirts or rear bumper, or if it will still look good with the stock skirts and rear, but just the roush front.
need to? nah, I have only the front bumper, got it as a result from a snow plow hitting it. whenever i tried posting pictures to the gallery, they didn't post for some reason, have a look for yourself

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts