Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so the "Restoring Miss Daisy" project is proceeding apace (1966 Mustang Coupe - Springtime Yellow...thus the "Miss Daisy" moniker). The hubby has the new floor pans in as well as the new battery tray and apron, etc. We decided to order new seat platforms since the other ones were pretty beat up. So while I'm waiting for them to arrive, I want to go ahead and get the emblems removed from the body so we can start prepping the body for paint. But I don't know how to remove them. I don't want to snap them in half! There are holes through the body and there are little metal points sticking through the holes. There are no nuts or washers that I can see. I'm guessing they are just some sort of fastener that expands on the inside of the body but that's just a guess.

Can anyone tell me more about these fasteners and maybe suggest a method for removing them gently without breaking them?

Thanks in advance for any advice! :worship

·
Registered
72 Posts
I take all the emblems off on my car by taking fishing line and wedge it behind Terry and pull up and down and the occasional pull towards you but that is for one that are like glued on but give it a try

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Im not really sure, but i also have 2 pin type things going thru fender. (289 emblem) I just got a set of 4 new tube nut clips (they are called) for them. I still havn't figured out how to even put new ones on. I used the dremel to clean one pin. I Still cant do it myself. but i think with a helper to hold the emblem to fender while i PUSH the nut clip on, it might go on. Im hoping. If that dont work, im trying my hammer. :nono:

I will also be watching for others advice.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Here's an old thread that throws those emblems around pretty good...

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...emblem-attachments-my-1967-mustang-coupe.html

The short version for removing them would be to very carfully pry from the front with a small putty knife and/or screwdriver. Sometimes the "barrel nut" pulls through the hole and other times the emblem stud pulls on out like it should. It would also be helpful to have access from the inner side of the fender. This can not be done on the hood or the trunk deck ,but it will help with the fenders. It allows you push them out from behind and or tweek the barrel nuts with some pliers as you push and pry. All in all, they are not difficult to remove if you are not worried about scuffing the finish or breaking a stud. The emblems and barrel nuts can be replaced.

PS 6T6: the tube nuts (or barrel nuts) are supposed to be inserted from the outside of the car. They have little tabs that keep it from going all the way through. Then the emblems press in, expanding the tube nut in the hole, wedging it all together. In theory, anyhow. I found that some of the nuts would press on through, chipping the paint and bending the nut up, but I had to drill my holes in repro fenders. See the attached thread for my experience.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Sick - good summary - thanks for plowing that ground for us.

I missed that earlier thread, but I have it on my favorites for reference now.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Here's an old thread that throws those emblems around pretty good...

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...emblem-attachments-my-1967-mustang-coupe.html
ed.

PS 6T6: the tube nuts (or barrel nuts) are supposed to be inserted from the outside of the car. They have little tabs that keep it from going all the way through. Then the emblems press in, expanding the tube nut in the hole, wedging it all together. In theory, anyhow. I found that some of the nuts would press on through, chipping the paint and bending the nut up, but I had to drill my holes in repro fenders. See the attached thread for my experience.
Wow thanx, I never would of thought the nuts came thru the outside of fender! Guess i should of looked at the barrel nuts a little closer. Thank you for the link too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts