Ford Mustang Forum banner

how to i take off the radio antenna?1965 mustang 'original

14K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  6T6Coupe 
#1 ·
1965 mustang:

how do i take off the original 1965 radio antenna?
its the antenna that is still about 18" long when all the way down.
does it unscrew from the top at the base?

#2 ·
remove tire,take off rear splash shield it should have about 4 bolts going down inner part of fender and 1 bolt under hood at rear corner,then you should be able to remove splashs shield and remove nut from antenna,if the cable wire does not what to move you will have to remove pass.kick panel to fish it through inner panel,hope this helps

#3 ·
If it's the original type antenna, you can remove it from the top. Some of these pics are from my 66. The antenna base is different but the concept is the same.

To begin, remove the passenger side kick panel. Then unplug the antenna from the back of your radio. Tie a long piece of wire or string (4 to 6') to the end of the antenna plug. Push the antenna wire through the access hole leaving the string or wire still attached.

The top of the antenna is comprised of a swivel, base and a locking nut ( 1st & 2nd & 3rd pic). Unscrew the locking nut and remove and the base while holding the shaft of the antenna. Tilt the swivel with your finger or a screwdriver until the notch in the swivel dislocates from the fender. Lower the antenna slightly and tip one end of the swivel up. Then pull the antenna slowly through the hole in the fender until the entire cable is removed. The last pic will give you an idea of where the hole is with the fender removed. You do not need to remove the fender.

Then untie the wire or string and tie it on the end of your new antenna cable. Pull the string slowly from the passenger compartment until the new cable comes through the access hole. Plug it in and reverse the procedure.
You should be good to go. Good Luck. :winks

Attachments

#4 ·
Just dont forget that string/rope. You need that to get your new one installed from the top of fender into the car, like 65 Fixup said. I did mine in about 20 minutes.

Edit: Mr 65 Fixup...them pliers (2nd pic) :nono: Wheres your fender cover!? At least a towel.

#5 ·
6T6: You are absolutely correct. :bigthumbsup Tools on a bare fender are a no-no.:nogrinner

To somewhat redeem myself, let me clarify. The picture of the antenna on the green fender is from my 66. That fender is crushed beyond repair. I was in the process of replacing it with a new one. That's why I wasn't as careful as I normally am.
Good point though. :gringreen

Attachments

#6 ·
Alright if its confession time, I bought a fender cover at Napa way back when i first bought my car. It just collected dust sitting on the shelf for nearly 20 years. I only started to use a towel or that fender cover the last 3-4 years. Its good habit to start. Why not all of us start today!

Ken

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.