Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was driving my car and found a brand new curvy road that no one was on in town. I decided to push my car a little more than usual and see what it could hold. The first turn I took was probably at about 60 km/h in 2nd gear. I was off the gas and turned in but the steering seemed a lot less responsive and not as tight as usual. I got through the corner and got on the gas as it started to skid some and fishtail, I got it under control but I was somewhat disappointed in the handling.

I already have a front strut tower brace. What other handling mods can I do so that it will handle a lot better and feel like I'm actually stuck to the road. I don't really want to lower my car as I love the look of it right now.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What kind of tires are on it now?

Btw, I had the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs mentioned in the Tires thread on my old Cobalt SS. Those tires were holy-****-this-thing-is-on-rails better than the stock Pirellis that came on it. I think the treadwear rating was only like 220 or so, though. Sold the car for the Stang before I wore 'em out; not sure how long they would have been good for.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Whats your budget?

Roush suspension should be an upgrade on all these cars.
But as mentioned doesnt do any good with out some good tires.
Z1 star specs are great tires.

But take a look at Falken Azenis RT615k. I run these now and they are the best tire I have ran.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
Since we're on the subject of tires -- check e-bay and other sources for GT-500 take-offs; there are some great deals out there. They have the Goodyear F1 "supercar" tires that probably aren't as good as the other ones mentioned above, but they are a lot better than the stockers and you can probably get a full set with wheels and TPMS sensors for under $1,000

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I have Pirelli tires and I think they are pretty damn good. No problem with anything launching at 2000rpm with my 4.10s. Just shoots off. They grip the road great IMO. Never tried any wild turning though:nono:

B
0 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way but I would suggest a driving course. Learning how to properly brake, enter a corner, identify your apexes and lines will make you much faster. This would be an investment in you the driver which you can put to use in any car you drive...not just parts on a single car.

I'm sure there is a lot more in the car it just needs a little coaxing. Not to mention most road course schools are a lot of fun!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way but I would suggest a driving course. Learning how to properly brake, enter a corner, identify your apexes and lines will make you much faster. This would be an investment in you the driver which you can put to use in any car you drive...not just parts on a single car.

I'm sure there is a lot more in the car it just needs a little coaxing. Not to mention most road course schools are a lot of fun!
Amen.....Learn how to drive!

Then start with tires, upgrade the brakes and pads, springs and dampers, suspension settings with adjustable components like camber plates, adjustable sway bars.

Ultimatley you will save money and have a better handleing auto if you go with suspension kits from one manufacturer instead of piecing together parts.

IT never ends.......

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
My car can handle turns extremely well now with my suspension parts, but even with a car that can handle turns, I'd be VERY careful about taking hard turns on normal roads. You hit a patch of dirt/dust/gravel on a road at speed and no suspension/tires in the world will save you from spinning out.

An old friend of mine that used to have an RX8 liked to take turns hard cuz, well, his car was able to handle em. And he has spun out many a times not cuz of his suspension but **** on the roads.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice. Currently I just have stock BfGoodrich G-Force T/A 235/50 R18 tires on it.

As for the comments about the driving lessons, I would love to do this but unfortunately I am not made of money and can't afford lessons. Plus in Saskatchewan, Canada there's not a lot of places nearby that I can just go to a road course and learn. Mostly everything by where I live is 1/4 mile. Even our dragstrip in town is just an airstrip that is converted to a drag strip 3 times a year.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Lowering springs and GT 500 take off parts have worked well for me. Here are the twisty's that I drive on.....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Depends on how much you are wanting to spend... You can get lowering springs, adjustable panhard bar and some wider and grippier rubber... and then you'll (the driver) be the weak link (as opposed to the cars suspension). But as others have noted...be careful, gravel patches, potholes, or really any sort of road hazard could be dangerous! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
I recommend lowering springs, something like these: 2005-2011 Ford Mustang GT V6 UPR Pro Series Kit Lowering Springs by Eibach at UPR Products - Lifetime Warranty!

Your choice of dampers: Strange 10-way, Tokico, Koni, etc...

Control arms: 2005-2010 Ford Mustang GT V6 Chrome Moly Street Upper & Lower Control Arm Package - UPR Products

And an adjustable panhard bar: 2005-2011 Ford Mustang Pro Street Double Adjustable Pan Hard Bar - UPR Products

These parts make a day and night difference in handling, and they can be installed one at a time if you're on a budget. :bigthumbsup

1 - 13 of 13 Posts