Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I was thinking about getting a 2005+ GT or Cobra. I see that if people baby the GT's they can get about 26 mpg. What can you do to increase mileage in these for cheap. Off the top of my head I was thinking maybe get a K&N air filter, powerchip?, diff exhaust. If you get a few of these things to increase mileage could you bump it up to 30 mpg?

Thanks

P.S. Dont tell me you shouldn't be getting one if your worried about the mileage :hihi:

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
If you drive the car on the highway at about 60mph, and you get an aftermarket CAI with a tune, mileage goes up. Turn the airconditioner off, and mileage goes way up (in my limited experience).

I have seen 29 mpg highway driving under the right conditions (level, slow, no A/C, no wind, and the car is in a good mood).

Believe it or not, I was looking at cars like the Honda Insight, before I bought my Mustang. I drive a lot of highway miles, and the thought of high MPG was very attractive. I bought the Mustang, because I didn't want to drive a $28,000 tin can all day, and I have never regretted that decision. Keeping it under 60 mph is impossible, though- I love this car so much that I find myself spending most of my time trying to exercise what little self control I have left. 100 mph in my Mustang feels like 50 mph in my Corolla! :evillol:

Thinking about setting my speed limiter at 80 mph!!!! :no:

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Speed limiter at 80 and a block under the gas pedal.;)
All I do is city driving, only getting on the highway to stretch the ponys legs. So far its hitting mid 18mpg with a few spirited accelerations. Still 50% better than my wifes Expedition I traded in after she took over my Maxima.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mileage

ATXSilverGT said:
Speed limiter at 80 and a block under the gas pedal.;)
All I do is city driving, only getting on the highway to stretch the ponys legs. So far its hitting mid 18mpg with a few spirited accelerations. Still 50% better than my wifes Expedition I traded in after she took over my Maxima.
Well with my 95 chevy 1/2 ton I get about 15 tops. And nearest town to me is 10 miles of highway. 20 to nearest walmart, and 90 to a samsclub/ good mall.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I use to get high 20's on my Vette all day long, i think the vette gets good milage because of its areodynamics and gearing. I think a 6 spd would help in gas milage a lot.. i get 23-24 highway on the Stang....and thats when i baby it.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Get yourself a Kia. They get great gas milage.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I was thinking of trying to sell the 4.10's to my wife so I can increase my gas milage:hihi:. So far after 700 miles my average speed it 33mph... stop...go...stop...go.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
ATXSilverGT said:
I was thinking of trying to sell the 4.10's to my wife so I can increase my gas milage:hihi:. So far after 700 miles my average speed it 33mph... stop...go...stop...go.
I just hit 5k miles after about 18+ months and I'm at 24 mph average and I think 18 mpg. Now that the tourists are going away … maybe the mph will increase a little. I don't G.A.$hit. about gas mileage in this car. I bought it for fun:D

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
My mileage is consistentyl bad in the Stang (average 13-16 mpg). Maybe because it is not driven daily so maybe it is not broken in yet or because I have mods on it and tuned for 91 Octane. Out of the 2455 miles on it, the majority are highway mileage. The best I have seen in the stang is 21 mpg, the worst is 13 mpg, and usually I am right around 15/16 mpg. Heck, my new F-150 w/5.4L V8 is averaging 17 mpg.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
5twenty said:
Get yourself a Kia. They get great gas milage.
Nah, get a VW TDI bug, they get better....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Made a trip to the upstate Saturday for a v-ball tournament my daughter was in. Following the bus up, running between 60 - 70 mph I averaged 27.4 mpg, according to the computer. Coming back, ahead of the bus, rushing to make a cruise-in (80 -90 mph), averaged dropped to 25.3 mpg. I'm not going to complain about either one. Prior to this, in mostly city driving, I've been averaging 19.7 mpg.

-Chip in SC

·
Registered
478 Posts
sincitystang said:
I use to get high 20's on my Vette all day long, i think the vette gets good milage because of its areodynamics and gearing. I think a 6 spd would help in gas milage a lot.. i get 23-24 highway on the Stang....and thats when i baby it.

I had a 99 Vette with a 6 spd and would get 34 mpg cruising @ 75mph. I still don't get why they didn't put a 6 spd in our Stangs

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
bigplayrayr said:
I had a 99 Vette with a 6 spd and would get 34 mpg cruising @ 75mph. I still don't get why they didn't put a 6 spd in our Stangs
I agree... At least I wouldn't feel like I'm running out of gears with the 4.10s.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Reducing weight will help fuel economy not to mention acceleration. Doubt that the return in fuel savings would ever equal the cost of light weight parts though. The lightweight aluminum driveshaft can only help along with the front sway bar/radiator support removal, tubular K member and the list goes on....

·
Registered
103 Posts
maybe a tune would pay-off

tyler.anderson said:
Hey I was thinking about getting a 2005+ GT or Cobra. I see that if people baby the GT's they can get about 26 mpg. What can you do to increase mileage in these for cheap. Off the top of my head I was thinking maybe get a K&N air filter, powerchip?, diff exhaust. If you get a few of these things to increase mileage could you bump it up to 30 mpg?

Thanks

P.S. Dont tell me you shouldn't be getting one if your worried about the mileage :hihi:

Hi Tyler, how many miles do you do annually? It really would have to be quite high for any of the mods to pay off. If you just want to lean out the mixture for economy purposes perhaps a tuning unit and an off-the-shelf tune would help but even then you can buy a lot of gas for $500. I'd be surprised if you see more than 1-2mpg improvement with CAI / tune - I don't see any with my GT because I make use of the better performance. Changing axel back exhausts will do little if anything for fuel economy. The greatest variable in gas mileage is driving style.

I'm a fairly low mileage user - ~7000 a year - and the way I look at it, I've already spent ~$30k of the car and depreciation is the highest cost of car ownership so I might as well enjoy every cent of it even at the expense of gas mileage. Guess what I'm saying is, I understand your desire to improve gas mileage, but just make sure the GT still puts a smile on your face when you "baby" it around :eyepoppin Oh, and don't think about a Supercharger.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
steve999_1 said:
Hi Tyler, how many miles do you do annually? It really would have to be quite high for any of the mods to pay off. If you just want to lean out the mixture for economy purposes perhaps a tuning unit and an off-the-shelf tune would help but even then you can buy a lot of gas for $500. I'd be surprised if you see more than 1-2mpg improvement with CAI / tune - I don't see any with my GT because I make use of the better performance. Changing axel back exhausts will do little if anything for fuel economy. The greatest variable in gas mileage is driving style.

I'm a fairly low mileage user - ~7000 a year - and the way I look at it, I've already spent ~$30k of the car and depreciation is the highest cost of car ownership so I might as well enjoy every cent of it even at the expense of gas mileage. Guess what I'm saying is, I understand your desire to improve gas mileage, but just make sure the GT still puts a smile on your face when you "baby" it around :eyepoppin Oh, and don't think about a Supercharger.
I dont put alot of miles on a year. Probably in the range of 7,000 is all. Less when im done with school.

·
Registered
897 Posts
When my car was N/A with stock gears I was getting around 23 mpg highway. I installed the 4.10's and dropped to around 20mpg highway. I now have a Saleen S/C in the car and can't for the life of me get better than 18mpg highway. I don't drive 55 and would not be able to even if it gave me 100mpg. This is my 3rd vehicle but I still put 10,000 miles a year on it.
If you're going to drive it like a P***y to get better mileage don't bother getting one cause you'll be very disappointed. These cars put a smile on your face with power and not creature comforts and refined handling. (Putting flame retardent suit on as we speak)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thump_rrr said:
When my car was N/A with stock gears I was getting around 23 mpg highway. I installed the 4.10's and dropped to around 20mpg highway. I now have a Saleen S/C in the car and can't for the life of me get better than 18mpg highway. I don't drive 55 and would not be able to even if it gave me 100mpg. This is my 3rd vehicle but I still put 10,000 miles a year on it.
If you're going to drive it like a P***y to get better mileage don't bother getting one cause you'll be very disappointed. These cars put a smile on your face with power and not creature comforts and refined handling. (Putting flame retardent suit on as we speak)
well yea I know im not getting it for mileage. I drive diff from day to day. If im in no hurry at all I drive 60 on a 55. And accelerate slow and so on. Then othertimes i drive the opposide.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts