Ford Mustang Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Hell, mine is nearly bone stock, and I was getting 10 mpg around town last night. Shows how much fun I was having!

·
Registered
5 Posts
sincitystang said:
Nah, get a VW TDI bug, they get better....
Too true. I know this because I've driven one for a thousands of miles.

Also, it is to be noted that Mustangs are measured in SMILES per gallon. In this category, they are incredibly efficient.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
GotMunchies? said:
Too true. I know this because I've driven one for a thousands of miles.

Also, it is to be noted that Mustangs are measured in SMILES per gallon. In this category, they are incredibly efficient.
My mom was going to get a volkswagon TD, but now she's leaning towards a impala because impalas are safer if you get hit. Plus she would probably put gas in the diesel.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I get about 21-22 with mine and it's mostly commuting. I don't baby the car, but I don't do burnouts either. Average speed is something like 33 mph. On the freeway I usually run between 70 and 80, and I accelerate with about 75% throttle but short shift unless I'm really in "fun mode". Most days the car never gets over 3,000 RPM. On fun days it hits 6,800. ;)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Zenmervolt said:
I get about 21-22 with mine and it's mostly commuting. I don't baby the car, but I don't do burnouts either. Average speed is something like 33 mph. On the freeway I usually run between 70 and 80, and I accelerate with about 75% throttle but short shift unless I'm really in "fun mode". Most days the car never gets over 3,000 RPM. On fun days it hits 6,800. ;)
You hit the nail on the head. Probably the biggest killer of MPG is RPM. BMW was the first company to endorse the wide throttle opening/low engine speed technique in the 80's. The problem with the Mustang is the higher you rev it the better it sounds.

·
Registered
995 Posts
i got a 94' cobra that gets 19 mpg in the city yes stop go stop go and i drive it hard it gets about 26 or better on the highway

21 - 28 of 28 Posts