Ford Mustang Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Eh, bracket doesn't have enough room for foam tape. Looks like I have to start over. Also, this is really difficult to make. Might have to just weld some of the tabs on instead of trying to carefully cut them into shape, particularly without a plasma cutter or angle grinder.

Attachments

·
Registered
524 Posts
Lots and lots of work Paul! its coming out great though :thumbsup:

J

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Naturally, I've made this much harder than I really need to, but that's half the fun!

I got one bracket basically done, though I'm still not totally happy with it. But I did get some bulkhead fittings installed in the core support for the power steering cooler hoses! So that's something.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ok, this bracket design is much cleaner and easier to make, so this is what I'm going with. Integrating the power steering cooler and radiator brackets was just too much, and this will look fine anyways.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Core support/upper rad mount is basically done! Needs to get cleaned up, drilled for the power steering cooler, then painted. Then glue on the foam tape. Lots of little things left to do still, like put the engine back in, reassemble the interior, make the new power steering hoses, stuff like that. But the end is certainly in sight!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Radiator is basically installed. Fan is mounted, mount fabrication is finished, and just needs paint. Then mount the power steering cooler, run the hoses, and put some foam tape on the radiator mounts, and the radiator will be as done as it can get without the engine in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Cooling system is as done as I can get it without having the engine in place. Power steering cooler is installed and hoses are fitted. Man, the barb fittings are tough to install! I found that clamping a 3/8" wrench to the bench, sliding the fitting into the wrench, and then just pushing on the hose with as much body weight as possible did the trick, though slowly. Got a bunch of rivet nuts, but it looks like I got the wrong size. Oops. So now I also gotta pick out the right drill size for it. Gonna use the rivet nuts to mount hose clamps to better route the power steering hoses to the pump and rack. Next up, modifying the wiring that went over the radiator so that it won't just dangle in the gap when the upper mount is removed.

So sometime next week, I'll toss the engine back in and get going on routing hoses.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Engine is finally in! However, it seems that I didn't move the fan over far enough to clear the water pump. However, I think I can move it over another inch without issue. I think ideally, I'd have a two-fan shroud, but that's not what I have right now and I kinda hit my budget limit, so we'll just have do make do. I suppose I could make another shroud, but that would require yet another sheet of aluminum, and aluminum can be kinda pricey. Whatever. I'll deal with this as is, and when I finally decide to make the grille-to-core support cover plate, I'll pick up enough aluminum to both the cover and shroud.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Fitted and routed the power steering hoses, and started planning out the coolant hoses. Tried to find a suitable lower hose at Autozone, but I was really only able to get a universal flex hose. A simple 90 degree hose will work at the top. The radiator fan is getting moved a little to the passenger side, and will clear the water pump just fine. New valve covers to fit over the roller rockers should show up on Wednesday, and most things on the engine are hooked up, so I might be able to start it maybe this weekend!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Besides adding a second radiator cap, the cooling system is effectively done. I was able to move the fan over enough to clear the water pump pulley, so that's gonna work just fine. I might have to get the next longer lower radiator hose, however, but we'll see. Ideally, I'd have some 1-3/4" pipe, a pipe bender, and some silicone elbows, but I don't have those, so gotta make do. I should be able to basically just tighten everything down and hook up the exhaust and be ready to fire it up this week, however! And it's amazing how much more room you get when you move the battery! Not only do I now have room for way more radiator, but I also have a spot for a proper overflow tank!

Attachments

Reactions: Grimbrand

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Radiator is totally leak free, the whole electrical system works like a charm, all the oil is staying in the engine, and the steering is responsive! However, after a couple drives, the steering has developed a groan when I turn left, and there appears to be metal in the reservoir. Great. Got a filter on order, and I'm gonna flush the system. Now, the KRC pump calls for KRC's special power steering fluid (which I'm sure is similar to off the shelf power steering fluid), but the rack is for a Foxbody Mustang, which needs Type F ATF. So I'm not sure which fluid I should use. I'm leaning towards ATF.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
After installing a filter and flushing the system, it stopped groaning for a bit, but it has started again. There's more metal in the fluid, and I think the filter's 10 100 micron rating isn't enough to stop the particles that are in the fluid. Maybe I could get a regular oil filter to install inline with a much finer micron rating? Just all so frustrating.

But hey, the upgraded radiator is working like a charm!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Clearly I can't help myself. No, this won't be a permanent fixture, but it will help slow down the steering rack's self destruction. Engine oil filters do filter much better, so it should work great. Also swapped over to ATF Type F, which might have been most of the problem. And I finally have the correct temp sensor, so now I can tell if my new radiator setup is working properly.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Seems that it's probably actually the ball joints making all the noise. The lower ball joint boots tore pretty good, so I may have to replace the ball joints. Still, there was crud in the power steering, so it was good to replace and filter the fluid. And with the temp gauge working properly now, the radiator is clearly working well! As the summer warms up, we'll be able to tell just how well, but in 70-75 degree weather, it easily holds 185 cruising! I might wire up the fan relay so that once it turns on it stays on until I shut off the car. I'll have to get creative with that, though.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Probably the last post to be made for this thread. I grounded the electric fan switch wire so that it turns on with the key and stays on until the car shuts off. The result after cruising around in 80 degree weather: Temps never climbed over 185, whether on the freeway or idling. It will likely be some time before I romp on it at an autocross or add A/C, but the much-enlarged radiator certainly did its job!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts