Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iv got a 66 inline 6 200 i need to install an electric fan but i ahve no clue whats the best way to do it i have no shroud or any thing so im starting form scratch im guessing i need to remove the fan thats there but as far as that goes idk

·
Registered
119 Posts
You can get an electric fan that comes with it's own shroud and merely hangs onto the radiator. It can run when the ignition is on or it can run on a thermoswitch, or you can switch it on at will. The install instructions are relatively easy to follow. Summer's coming!

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Why?:headscratch:

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Why?:headscratch:
Hello.:) Good question.:gringreen I only live about 15 miles from Lombardo65 and my car doesn't overheat, and it's never had an electric fan. The only difference between our cars would be that his has better air flow being a 6 cyl. He could also probably hit K&R Mustangs with a rock from his back yard.:gringreen Those guys could probably help him figure out why his car is overheating and help him straighten that out for something in the same price range as the electric fan is going to end up costing.:)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
It all depends on what kind of electric fan you have. Fans like the Black Magic have their own shroud, and attach through the radiator core.

I bought a less expensive Spal fan. I had to fabricate some mounting brackets that I welded into the stock steel shroud.

You'll also want some way to control the fan. You don't really want it running all the time. I bought a thermo switch from Summit Racing and wired it up with a relay from radio shack.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well its because my radiator is a peice of **** mexican radiator that the last owner of the car put on and also i am guessing that the fan on the block robs power so i dont see why not remove it

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello.:) Good question.:gringreen I only live about 15 miles from Lombardo65 and my car doesn't overheat, and it's never had an electric fan. The only difference between our cars would be that his has better air flow being a 6 cyl. He could also probably hit K&R Mustangs with a rock from his back yard.:gringreen Those guys could probably help him figure out why his car is overheating and help him straighten that out for something in the same price range as the electric fan is going to end up costing.:)

veronica is your car your daily driver?

myn is and some times as im guessing you know i get in that Houston traffic the last thing i want is to over heat

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
veronica is your car your daily driver?

myn is and some times as im guessing you know i get in that Houston traffic the last thing i want is to over heat
Hi again.:) My car is the car that I drive everywhere I go. If I have to do anything that requires my getting into a car, that's the car that I get into to do it. I also live in the town and country area, Beltway 8 and Katy Freeway. The traffic here is a whole lot worse than it is down your way. It sounds like you already know what the actual problem is with your car. Go get a radiator and solve the problem, rather than trying to put a band-aid on it with an electric fan. The electric fan isn't a silver bullet. You'll be needing a new alternator to accomodate the increased demand, which also calls for a new voltage regulator. Then some other electrical system starts acting funny, like the gauges, then you have to .........
Go get a radiator.:gringreen

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ya i was planing on getting a new radiator but that cost alot and im short on money im only 17 so im worken the minimam wage job and with the ever increasing price of gas its hard to come by is it true the stock fan is a power robber?

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Is it true the stock fan is a power robber?
Hi again.:) No, it isn't.:nogrinner The belt in question has to turn the alternator and the water pump anyway. The fan does create a little bit of additional resistance, but not nearly enough to actually make the motor have to work perceptibly harder. I don't know how much this electric fan is going to cost, but I do know that you can have your radiator re-cored for about 50 bucks, so, that, again, has got to be the way to go.:)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
iv had that done lol it just a really crap radiator like its literally a cheap Mexican made part a new radiator cost upwards of 200

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi again.:) No, it isn't.:nogrinner The belt in question has to turn the alternator and the water pump anyway. The fan does create a little bit of additional resistance, but not nearly enough to actually make the motor have to work perceptibly harder.
Yes, it does. I noticed the differance right away. That heavy fan/clutch assembly takes power to turn. Try it, you might be surprised.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Yes, it does. I noticed the differance right away. That heavy fan/clutch assembly takes power to turn. Try it, you might be surprised.
Hi again.:) A 65/66 mustang does not even have a fan clutch, and the four-bladed fan a 6cyl came with weighs next to nothing. Taking that fan off and replacing it with an electric one would have absolutely zero impact on his fuel economy, quarter mile times, accelleration curve or any other tangible method of testing that particular hypothesis. And, he would still have the problem that motivated this discussion.:)

G

·
I got my radiator at Autozone years ago for my 200 and haven't had any issues since. It's a 3 row and they still show them for $153. If I were you I would just save up and go the simple route with a new radiator. We have very hot summers here and I've had no cooling issues to date with my aftermarket rad. That and a good thermostat will go a long way to meet your cooling needs.

Just my .02...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.