Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im running a naturally aspirated 4.6L SOHC 2V on a 2002 Mustang GT. I have seen several oil separator/catch can set-ups and decided that getting an air compressor line filter will do a much better job of filtering out blow-by then just a regular metal can with and inlet and outlet on top. The set-up I have liked the most and will base my set-up on is the Steeda oil separator. However, the problem many seem to be having with the Steeda set-ups is that the tank of the oil separator is too small and fills up too fast OR the suction is so strong in the engine that the tank can only fill up halfway before the blow by begins to get sucked back into the engine.

MY SOLUTION:

- A BIGGER, STURDIER air filter which has a much larger bowl (tank) and is encased and protected from breaking by the metal shell.

There are 2 types:

-Campbell Hausfield Model: PA2121 which is the all metal one found at Canadian Tire (SEE picture below)
- Husky Model: HDA70603AV - same design as CH filter but plastic and not metal construction can be found at Home Depot

The filters are about 10 inches in lenght and 3 inches in width/depth (quite a bit bigger than the steeda mini filters). The inlet and outlet for the filter are 3/8in. which is what I believe the thickness of stock PCV hose is for 2002 Mustang GT. Can someone confirm this?

I know that generally people "splice" into the hose that goes from the passenger side valve cover (where PCV valve is) to the intake/plenum. (See picture: pass_1, the hose is outlined in red).

However, yesterday I noticed that there is also another hose which goes from the driver's side valve cover directly into the intake tube, when I removed the hose at the driver's side valve cover ther was an oily residue inside it. (See picture driv_1, the hose is outlined in red).

So my question is, if the hose on the driver's side that goes directly into the intake tube (picture: driv_1) should also be hooked up to an oil separator as well, or if having the oil separator on the passenger side spliced into PCV hose is sufficient?

Essentially, what is the best way of doing this set-up/is it just correct to splice into the PCV hose outlines in pciture "pass_1"

I will post a detailed-write up and step-by-step pictures once I find out what the best type of set up is and actually get it done.

For anyone else interested in doing this mod these are generally the required parts:

- Campbell Hausfield Model: PA2121 or Husky Model: HDA70603AV air line/air compressor filter
- Braided temperature resistant radiator hose (so it does not collapse under vacuum)
- 3/8" Fittings (straight or 90 degree depending on application) **Found some excellent 90 degree 3/8" fittings on eBay which have "sweeping corners" and restrict flow much less than the ones which are just bent to 90 degrees and have much sharper corners, therefore restricting flow more. Just type in any variation of the following "90 Deg Elbow 3/8 Hose Barb NPT Brass Fuel Fitting Sweep"
- 3/8" Hose Clamps
- Teflon tape

P.S - I am still fairly new to this forum so my apologies if something is not formatted correctly for posting. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
nice write-up. im planning on using jeg's model: JEGS 52205 JEGS Air Oil Separator

and mounting it to the driver's side strut tower. my PCV line runs from my driver's side valve cover to my supercharger intake, so it takes a bit of a different route.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea that looks to be about the same size chamber as the steeda one, the one I am getting is probably 3-4 times that size. I have also thought about egtting a cheap ebay oil catch can (minus the Bull s**t hose they provide :gringreen)that opens up and having a filter assembly without bowl attached just sitting inside of it with hoses goin from the can inlets to the filter inlets, or possibly with screws holding it to the top from the outside through the 2 mount holes on the top of the air line filter.

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
I run hydraulic hose from jegs on my UPR one. Works great. The UPR kit actually came with flimsy heater hose >_<

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice write-up. im planning on using jeg's model: JEGS 52205 JEGS Air Oil Separator

and mounting it to the driver's side strut tower. my PCV line runs from my driver's side valve cover to my supercharger intake, so it takes a bit of a different route.

You are sure that the PCV valve is on your drivers side? I thought it was the hose that goes into your plenum not intake pipe or in your case super charger intake pipe.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
You are sure that the PCV valve is on your drivers side? I thought it was the hose that goes into your plenum not intake pipe or in your case super charger intake pipe.
well there are two crank case vents. one going from the driver's side to the intake tract, and one going from the passenger side directly to the plenum.

the one that's going to my intake tract is before my head unit, so that means it's experiencing a ton of vacuum from the head unit sucking in all the air. i figure that that vacuum has to be bringing in more oil than desired so that's why i'm going to use that line. you get an idea from my picture:

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt121/mell00ut/SeniorInternship001-1.png

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let me know how it turns out, also you keep your engine bay and components very clean! good job!:bigthumbsup I picked up a set of Ford Factory Service Manuals on eBay for a pretty good price so once I have all the vacuum diagrams I will decide my set-up.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
haha thanks, i usually try to keep it spotless during the spring/summer. new england winters are tough to drive in and stay clean in!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.