Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Husband needs help installing a Neutral Safety Switch on his 1991 Mustang GT 5.0 5 Speed. When starting Car with foot on Clutch, Car is in Neutral, when he lets out on Clutch, Engine dies. He needs advice as to how to install the Neutral Safety Switch. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
My Husband needs help installing a Neutral Safety Switch on his 1991 Mustang GT 5.0 5 Speed. When starting Car with foot on Clutch, Car is in Neutral, when he lets out on Clutch, Engine dies. He needs advice as to how to install the Neutral Safety Switch. Thanks!
There are two switches on a 91 GT, but neither of them are capable of shutting off the engine.

The first switch is on the clutch pedal and disables the starter until the clutch is pressed. Releasing the clutch will not kill the engine.

The second switch is on top of the T5 and it tells the engine computer that the transmission is in a gear, or in neutral. This is primarily used as a safety for the cruise control to cancel it if the car is shifted into neutral. This switch only opens when the car is shifted into a gear and the clutch pedal has no effect on it.

Someone more familiar with the wiring may know something he has done wrong with the wiring, but I can't think of anything that could be mis-wired to cause that...

...but if the transmission is by chance in two gears at the same time it will be LOCKED UP and will kill the engine when the clutch is released because the transmission can't turn. This I have seen many times...

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Try removing the wiring plug from the cruse control module then start the engine and see what happens. If it runs the Control module is KAPUT. Just picking at straws here. If memory serves me a lead is run to the ecm for the cruse module. Or disconnect the NSS completely and jump start the engine at the solenoid. But be careful and make sure its in neutral and wheels blocked. :bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

Was the car converted from auto to 5 speeder. Just curious. Sounds like it was always a 5 speeder. Please ADVISE!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, the Car is original, nothing has been changed on it. It has always been a 5 speed. It was running fine, no problems. Never have had any problems with it. One morning while headed to work, car was fine, then after about 10 mins it was missing. Kind of backfiring. Pulled off on side of road. Would start but as soon as he let out the Clutch it would die. Right now, you can start it, have it in neutral, emergency brake on, Clutch in, Car runs fine. Idles good. But as soon as you let out Clutch with Car in Neutral, the Engine dies. A Mechanic told my Husband that he thought it was the Neutral Switch on the Clutch bc it runs fine as long as in Neutral and Clutch in. When you let Clutch out, it dies every time.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
No, the Car is original, nothing has been changed on it. It has always been a 5 speed. It was running fine, no problems. Never have had any problems with it. One morning while headed to work, car was fine, then after about 10 mins it was missing. Kind of backfiring. Pulled off on side of road. Would start but as soon as he let out the Clutch it would die. Right now, you can start it, have it in neutral, emergency brake on, Clutch in, Car runs fine. Idles good. But as soon as you let out Clutch with Car in Neutral, the Engine dies. A Mechanic told my Husband that he thought it was the Neutral Switch on the Clutch bc it runs fine as long as in Neutral and Clutch in. When you let Clutch out, it dies every time.

If memory serves me the cruse has a separate switch. Better yet disconnect the switches one at a time and see if the engine starts and stays running. Its a 50/50 shot to pick the correct one. If memory serves me the NSS has thicker wires. Both switches are under the dash on the clutch pedal assembly. Peace Tom

Reactions: wbrockstar
1 - 5 of 5 Posts