Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following are some tips from my insurance company (USAA at http://www.usaa.com). These are from a long time ago, but I am certain they still apply now. Last time I was pulled over, for having a headlight out, the officer did not even give me a *warning* and I think it is because I did all of these things. They are hugely courteous to the officer. Interestingly, my mother got the *same* lecture from the two officers who pulled her over, after she went in the glove box, as they were walking up to her car. She had applied for a concealed carry permit about two months prior and later figured it may show up on her record, somehow. She heard the officer on the passenger's side say "She's going in the glove box!" They arrived at her door with guns drawn! For my Mom! It still cracks us up, at reunions. Little gray haired old lady, wondering why the police are treating her this way :)

My little hints, via USAA... if you get pulled over, at night, don't go in the glove box, before the cop gets there! Are you getting your license and registration, to be helpful? Or grabbing your .45? Hiding your stash?

Turn on your inside lights/dome light, so the cop can see into your car better than you can see out. It puts him/her in a better frame of mind.

Kill your engine so you tell him/her you aren't about to flee.

Roll down your window, all the way, before he gets out of his/her car so you can....

Keep both hands on the steering wheel, where the cop can see them.

None of these things are going to jump out at the officer as being something you are doing because you have so much experience getting pulled over :rolleyes: . If it were me, I would guess, it is because you are related to a cop or are one yourself.

I have to hand it to people like GTNOS. I could never be a cop. I couldn't stand being there, everyday, for the worst moments in people's lives. it would eat me up and I wouldn't be able to let it go. Little kid runs in the street and gets hit by a car. Guess who gets to be there to relive it with the witnesses? The cop with a newborn. 13 year old with a bright future O.D.s at Mom's house on her first experiment with drugs, in stressfree suburbia. Here comes the cops to relive it with the grieving parents, after they got home to discover the corpse of their beautiful daughter.

After *another* day like that, I think I can cut the cop a break and make giving me a ticket (or not), an easy event. They have my respect and I don't judge them by the new guy who is still all fired up about being an officer, or the jaded guy who is hating the public because most of them lie to him or are trying to get away with something.

To give you an idea how blessed my life is; guess what I had nightmares about last night...

I was going to have to sell my Mustang because I kept getting pulled over.

That's it! That is all I have to worry about in my wonderful life. I give *thanks* for that.

Give the cops a break, next time they pull you over. If they just want to see your car, let them. If they want to look at the engine and hear you tell them about 300 HP, tell them. If they are a fan of your car, relax and smile about it. If you are speeding, take your medicine and don't give the cop a hard time.

If you were the cop, you would have pulled you over too. You are the bad guy.

Oops, slipped a haiku in there, sorry.

-David

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Good post!

Always have your registration and proof of insurance easy to get to as well. You DO have your driver's license with you? :happyhapp

Another tip, is when you know you are going to be pulled over, pull to the RIGHT shoulder and use your sugnal. If an off ramp is close, go there. Pull far enough off the travel lane to allow the cop to safely approach the driver's side and turn on the 4 ways.

If it's a 'local yokel,' address him/her as 'officer.' If a 'county mounty,' use 'deputy,' and if a 'full grown,' use 'trooper' or if in doubt sir is the salutation.

You will be surprised how many cops are car nuts! Respect and truthfulness will go a long way! :sterb:

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I usually carry a box of jelly doughnuts, and play "Cop Killer" by Ice-T, that usually smoothes things over nicely.

·
Registered
514 Posts
JEB said:
I usually carry a box of jelly doughnuts, and play "Cop Killer" by Ice-T, that usually smoothes things over nicely.
BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!:evilchuck

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
all of those ideas are nice, and cops will appreciate them (especially the turning on your dome light and visible hands)

main thing: dont cuss me cuz you were speeding. its not my fault. and if you cuss me i definately wont be considerate when i start writing.

JEB: you offer me a donut and i will select a jelly filled one and slap you up-side the head with it. :sterb: i hate donuts and i hate that stereotype. now if you got some bar-b-que ribs and a nice cold beer............:drool:

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
You'll take the jelly doughnut I offer and like it, don't try to act like you don't want it. The badge has a mind control device imbedded in it that forces cops to love jelly doughnuts. You cannot resist.

My nephew is a DS for St. Tammany Parish, he loves them.

Give in to your doughnut lust. You'll be much happier.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
seriously, as a general rule, the old foggies like donuts, the younger generation dont touch them....... and i absolutely hate donuts, so you'll take my ticket and like it......:laughlitt and the badge does have mind control on some, but not for donuts, its more of an ego trip for some......:tongue

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I used to bring doughnuts to work forthe shop, but everytime I drive through the gate the SP's/MP's give me sooo much hassle.

I'm not kidding, everytime some smart azz SOB will crack
"Hey, are those fresh?"
"Did you bring those for us?"
"We'll have to confiscate those, Sir..."

These are Army and Air Force SP's/MP's, my Marines have never hit me up for doughnuts, they just ask about the car, but I don't see them here guarding the gate.
Even the guards in the building are doughnut addicts.....

Just like the damned Navy with their "big gulp coffee cups.."

Swine!!!!!!

AAAARRRRGGHHHH!!!!!!! Shiver me timbers Shipmate! One of those doughnuts would go great with my coffee!!!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yes I, was in the Marines, and I noticed that the senior Navy S.P.'s had developed a permanent hooked indexed finger from holding coffee cups for years.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I wish these tips were universal. I've read these tips before and always use them. The other day I got pulled over. I turned into the first driveway there was, pulled into a parking spot where there was no way I could take off, yet the cop had to turn on her 'woop, woop' as I was stopping. She was a total byotch. I rolled my window down all the way, hand my hands on the wheel when she walked up and all. Still got the $180 whammy!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Must've been one my wife's friends....

That time of the month!!!!!:happyhapp

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've had my share of being pulled over in the past 23 years that I have been driving & here are few more tips I've found help:

1) Pull over in a safe area and not anywhere dangerous to you, the officer or other motorists
2) Treat the office with 100% respect and 0% attitude (use Sir/Mam or officer when addressing him/her)
3) Ask the officer first before going into the glove box or any other concealed location to retrieve your documentation
4) Keep your hands on top of the wheel at all times

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
fin1 said:
I've had my share of being pulled over in the past 23 years that I have been driving & here are few more tips I've found help:

1) Pull over in a safe area and not anywhere dangerous to you, the officer or other motorists
2) Treat the office with 100% respect and 0% attitude (use Sir/Mam or officer when addressing him/her)
3) Ask the officer first before going into the glove box or any other concealed location to retrieve your documentation
4) Keep your hands on top of the wheel at all times
:winks couldnt hurt.....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey jetblack, your story about your mother reminded me of my rookie years with the highway patrol. I stopped a dodge dart for speeding. There were three senior ladies in the vehicle and cackling like hens when I approached the passenger side of the vehicle. After telling the driver why I stopped her I asked for her drivers license and vehicle registration. It took several minutes for the driver to locate her drivers license in her purse and while she was looking the other two ladies continued to chastise me for stoping their car and letting the rest of the law breakers go free. After handing me her drivers license the driver opened the glove box and all hadies broke lose. She grabbed a gun that was in the glove box. I immediately drew my service revolver and yelled, "drop the gun!!!" All three ladies in the car started screaming with the driver frantically waving this two inch at everybody. I kept yelling at her to drop the gun and she eventually threw it out of the drivers side window. It was lik the fox just entered the chicken coup. As it turned out the vehicle she was driving belonged to her son who was a Los Angeles Police officer.(found that out later when I ran a check on the gun.) She(the driver) had no idea what she was doing and when I yelled at her to drop the gun she went into a panic mode. That was my first experience with someone pointing a gun at me and it taught me a valuable lesson: Always expect the unexpected and be prepared to react.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
bailiff said:
Hey jetblack, your story about your mother reminded me of my rookie years with the highway patrol. I stopped a dodge dart for speeding. There were three senior ladies in the vehicle and cackling like hens when I approached the passenger side of the vehicle. After telling the driver why I stopped her I asked for her drivers license and vehicle registration. It took several minutes for the driver to locate her drivers license in her purse and while she was looking the other two ladies continued to chastise me for stoping their car and letting the rest of the law breakers go free. After handing me her drivers license the driver opened the glove box and all hadies broke lose. She grabbed a gun that was in the glove box. I immediately drew my service revolver and yelled, "drop the gun!!!" All three ladies in the car started screaming with the driver frantically waving this two inch at everybody. I kept yelling at her to drop the gun and she eventually threw it out of the drivers side window. It was lik the fox just entered the chicken coup. As it turned out the vehicle she was driving belonged to her son who was a Los Angeles Police officer.(found that out later when I ran a check on the gun.) She(the driver) had no idea what she was doing and when I yelled at her to drop the gun she went into a panic mode. That was my first experience with someone pointing a gun at me and it taught me a valuable lesson: Always expect the unexpected and be prepared to react.
oh, if i had a dime for every cop's gun that accidently fell out of the glove box when wifey was driving the car and scared the [email protected]#% out of me (and her)..... i could do alot of mustang mods..... ditto for the cops i have stopped who had it between thier legs....... self correcting problem when they get a glock in thier ear....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.