Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Latest Road and Track has a Mustang v. Camaro article. They mention that the Mustang likes to be launched at about 3500 rpm. This is the first high horsepower manual transmission I've had. When they say launch at 3,500 are they saying to rev to 3,500 and dump the clutch or rev and slowly let the clutch pedal out? Is either going to burn up my clutch faster than the old just giving it enough gas to keep from killing it as I slowly let the clutch pedal out?

·
Banned
1,507 Posts
Knowing R&T they're saying rev to 3500 and drop the clutch. Of course this is not ideal for the drive line if you do it every 5 mins, but every now and then it's designed to take it. I'm more concerned about the $300 tires than I am drive line!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
R&T are not spending their money. If I could use someone else's credit card I would use slicks and launch even higher RPM's.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The owner's manual also says to press clutch all the way to the floor. Surely that is just for liability. Seems to me if it is anywhere below engagement, it should be okay?

·
Registered
734 Posts
When I revved to 3500 and dropped the clutch, all I got was wheelspin all through 1st, all through 2nd, and through most of 3rd. When I revved to 3500 and slipped the clutch, I got a MUCH better result.

Racing starts are going to be hard on your clutch no matter how you do it.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Any time I've tried launching above 3000 rpms I just end up spinning the tires when the clutch is fully engaged. 2300-2500 rpms worked best for me. No tire spin in first = no spin going into second.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Latest Road and Track has a Mustang v. Camaro article. They mention that the Mustang likes to be launched at about 3500 rpm. This is the first high horsepower manual transmission I've had. When they say launch at 3,500 are they saying to rev to 3,500 and dump the clutch or rev and slowly let the clutch pedal out? Is either going to burn up my clutch faster than the old just giving it enough gas to keep from killing it as I slowly let the clutch pedal out?
The owner's manual also says to press clutch all the way to the floor. Surely that is just for liability. Seems to me if it is anywhere below engagement, it should be okay?
Are you asking how to launch the car like at the dragstrip or just do a normal takeoff in normal driving?

Launching at the strip is a matter of what works best for the individual car and the track. This is something that only experimentation and practice will achieve. Each situation is different.

And as far as what the owners manual says about clutch operation, this is another thing that varies from car to car but if you do push the clutch pedal all the way down each time you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
702 Posts
They were not dropping the clutch at 3500 RPM.

That would only end in infinite wheelspin.

They are holding the motor at 3500 RPM, lifting up on the clutch smoothly, and applying more throttle in an inteligent way to transfer weight, get moving, keep the revs up, and keep the tires from lighting up.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
yep, clutch slip!

Tires & suspension make it a lot easier to get out of the hole though.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
106 Posts
Any time I've tried launching above 3000 rpms I just end up spinning the tires when the clutch is fully engaged. 2300-2500 rpms worked best for me. No tire spin in first = no spin going into second.
+1 Completely agreed. Tryed launching for the first time. 2300-2500 close to perfect launch. Then tried uping the RPMs to 3000-3300. No bueno :( Tire spin and didn't go anywhere

·
Registered
633 Posts
i've found that the best way to get a good launch is to bring the revs up and slip the clutch while applying more throttle to keep the revs where they are and to try to get off the clutch as quickly as possible without wheelspin

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
i've found that the best way to get a good launch is to bring the revs up and slip the clutch while applying more throttle to keep the revs where they are and to try to get off the clutch as quickly as possible without wheelspin
Yeah, when you're slipping the clutch to get the car moving without tirespin, it transfers weight onto the rear so you can get more aggressive that you would have if you just idled off of the line.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yeah, when you're slipping the clutch to get the car moving without tirespin, it transfers weight onto the rear so you can get more aggressive that you would have if you just idled off of the line.
exactly. i used to try dumping the clutch and it either bogged down or spun. it also seems that slipping the clutch is also a lot less hard on it than dumping it?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.