Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive an auto and I'm a college student. With that said what are things I should do to my GT that would make it more fast, but not cost me alot of money? Or things I should do, but I need to save my money for. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
106 Posts
gears are gonna be ur next big thing about 4-5 hundred with install

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
gears just vary the speed that your driveshaft spins at the higher the gears the faster they spin my opinion if you want to get a blower in the future get 373 gears if you plan on building the engine no blower get 410s.. my suggestion get a tuner so you can set the shift points in your automatic.. only if you can do the install yourself get gears if not id suggest to hold off because the install is like 500$

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
$500? Ouch! Do you know what tuner would best for an auto and are they hard to figure out?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I have never heard of 500 for gear install ? I hope you guys are talking parts and labor combined. I had less then 400 for parts and labor. install should be no more then 250.00........:headscratch:

·
Registered
537 Posts
yeah 250 would be a better estimate for install.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
It varies at different shops. I paid bout 200 for the install. So lets just say total of $450 for gears (parts and labor) and a tuner ($400). And like FM2KGT said, if ya gonna supercharge go 3.73, but if not, go 4.10. This whole combination will give ya the best bang for the buck and will make the bigggest difference. Well worth $800-$850.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I paid 200 for the gears and 175 for installation in a Mustang only speed shop. Get 4.10 or 3.73 gears.
Then get a programmer (Diablosports Predator and SCT are good brands) so you can fix your speedometer, install a tune and firm up the shifts.
Then save for a supercharger:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
The guys here are right about the gears if you have the money. Buy a size gear that will suit YOUR needs not everyone elses. Gonna still cost $250 for the gears and another $250 for the install. And what ever you do,.................... Don't buy a set of "Richmond" gears, you'll be driven crazy by the whining noise.
Headers will cost you double what you'd spend on gears. The Diablosport tuner is a great idea $400 bucks and I'd have it professionally tuned and dyno'd for another $250.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Don't forget to get a bearing kit if your ride has high mileage on it. Mine as well kill two birds with one stone while they're working under there.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
my cousin baught 373 gears and had them installed at P&J speedshop up here for 500$, definatly a rip off, but this is why i say wait on gears unless you can install them yourself. gears and tuner would be the best way to go though, diablosport and SCT livewire or xcaliber2/3 are some good tuners. if you buy the tuner through www.americanmuscle.com use coupon code "mustangforums" for a 6% savings they have free shipping to :shiny:

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
$550

$500 is the going rate at Ford dealerships for the job around my area, and it does NOT include the various parts. Since they also tack on about 10% for the paper towels the mechanic uses and the air he breathes, DO include about $90-100 in the budget for a complete new install set including all the bearings and gaskets. New oil and additives will add to the bottom line as well.

High end driveline shops will charge less than the Ford dealer, and are experts at what they do.

Your local garage MIGHT contain a person experienced with modern Mustangs, and yes, will probably do the job for a lot less than the Ford Dealer.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I would also suggest using ebay to find parts. You need to be careful, ask the seller questions, read feedback, all that kinda stuff; but in the end you can get parts that are the same as in a parts store for a lot less money. For instance I got my gears for $50 and they are brand new. Some guy got them and decided to go with a different combo, so he sold them cheap.

But definately gears are the way to go. If you do more driving I would go with 373s and if you want max performance 410s are the way to go.

·
Registered
54 Posts
03 gt

i have an 03 mustang gt automatic its got bbk cool air intake , oversize throttle body,underdrive pully , bbk x-pipe,an flowmasters, i think its time to get some new gears what should i get?

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
I prefer the Ford racing 3.73's or 4.10's to your liking mainly and get a tuner, Diablo or SCT to calibrate the new gears. You also get added performance from adjusting the fuel, timing and you can turn off the T/C.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Traction Control, you can disable it with the tuner:bigthumbsup

1 - 20 of 99 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.