Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
so one can hear their engine noise. Since ford has a lot of sound proofing into the cars since the 2010 models

·
Registered
154 Posts
I pulled both the under the hood one and the interior one, but I put the interior one back in to reduce the engine noise a bit.

When I talked on the phone people complained you could hear the engine too much over the sync system.

Also I have no idea of the long term effects of pulling interior unfiltered air into the engine.

One last thing, it took a good 10 mins of driving to get the fuel mixture to level out as the computer adjusted itself to the increase in air intake.

Surged hard for at least 5 mins under hard throttle.

Jeff

·
Registered
70 Posts
I pulled both the under the hood one and the interior one, but I put the interior one back in to reduce the engine noise a bit.

When I talked on the phone people complained you could hear the engine too much over the sync system.

Also I have no idea of the long term effects of pulling interior unfiltered air into the engine.

One last thing, it took a good 10 mins of driving to get the fuel mixture to level out as the computer adjusted itself to the increase in air intake.

Surged hard for at least 5 mins under hard throttle.

Jeff

My understanding is that this is a sound tube, not an air tube. No air enters the intake via this tube.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that this mod is a bad idea. If you want your stang to sound louder, buy an exhaust kit. :run_over:

·
Registered
659 Posts
I think that this mod is a bad idea. If you want your stang to sound louder, buy an exhaust kit. :run_over:
After putting magnaflows on my 2010 I no longer hear the motor. Prior to the exhaust mod the car had a balance between inhaling and exhaling that worked out well. Personally I liked the balanced sound of both.

·
Registered
646 Posts
No airflow passes through this tube, otherwise you would have to change these filters for maintenance (which are only foam) and it would not be measured by the MAF sensor. There is a rubber diaphragm in the large canister that allows sound to carry through it. The foam plugs dampen the noise. If the engine is now running differently, something was done wrong or bumped during the change. I've removed the engine plug and it is louder, but no change in running.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Origially people complained that the mustang was too loud on the inside of the car. So ford went out and sound proofed the car. Then people complained that there was not enough engine noise.. Ironic? So then ford put the sound tube. It was probably cheaper this way...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anybody gonna do a before and after video?
Any one brave enough to try this and post a before and after video?

:happypills:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Nothing was bumped, I only installed the interior one back in and I got the bog again on just that one being removed and reinstalled.

Not shitting you

·
Registered
44 Posts
Don't believe that, try the mod you get a huge BOG for 5-15 mins after installing or removing those foam silencers.
I pulled the foam plugs today ( I put one back in, it sounded horrible with both out) and unless you took out the big rubber disk in the big black plastic thing that is bolted to the fender, no extra air goes through that tube.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I pulled the foam plugs today ( I put one back in, it sounded horrible with both out) and unless you took out the big rubber disk in the big black plastic thing that is bolted to the fender, no extra air goes through that tube.
I never removed anything other than the foam.

Like you I put one back in, I chose the interior one so I didn't have to fool with the under the hood one again.

Did you get any bog or idle disruption at all?

I can't be the only guy lol.

Jeff

·
Registered
646 Posts
Like I said, NO air goes through that tube, it operates off of resonance. If it did, we'd have to change those filters for maintenance, and they aren't even suitable for a lawnmower if you've looked at them. You'd also be introducing crankcase fumes into the cabin at shutdown, which is a big no no. Try blowing through the large round canister, nothing goes through there due to the diaphragm. I had zero change in engine performance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.