Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many Fox Body Mustangs experience a degradation in warning chime volume over time. I figured out how to refurbish the module in my '91 LX 5.0 to restore volume. Details in the attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
606 Posts
Many Fox Body Mustangs experience a degradation in warning chime volume over time. I figured out how to refurbish the module in my '91 LX 5.0 to restore volume. Details in the attached.
Excellent writeup!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great post!!! I followed the directions to the tee, but the chime was still muted. What I did to get it back to original sound:

Take the chime apart just like the instructions indicated, then scrape the residual foam off the metal disk with a sharp knife- do this on a flat surface so the metal disk doesn't bend. Then get a foam paint brush with a wood handle (you can get them in any hardware store in the paint department for under a buck). Then use a razor blade and cut about 1/8" slice off the foam (broad-side) of the brush. Now you should have a rectangle of foam that measures 2.25"X2"X1/8". Take a pair of small scissors, I used my Swiss army knife scissors and using the metal disk as a template, cut the foam into the shape of the circle. Afterward- cut a hole in the circular piece of foam- about 1/8" to 3/16" from the outer edge. Now use a super glue gel, and put very (I mean very small) dabs of glue where the original foam was on the metal disk. Carefully, put the new foam circle on the metal disk and wait 5 minutes to dry. Put the assembly back together; and you're good to go! :)

Btw, the chime is located right under the dashboard on the key (ignition side) side on the dash - it's held on to the underside of the dash lip by a black plastic bracket with two screws.

·
Registered
1 Posts
weed wacker

I just fixed up my 89 and have some notes:

1. It's really easy to get this thing out of the car. On the driver's side there are 2 7mm screws along the bottom of the dash to the right of the steering wheel. If you unscrew those you will be able to pull down the bracket that holds the module. You don't have to take anything else off.

2. After you take it apart you can just bend a piece of .080 weed wacker line into a circle and put that between the metal disc and the 4-prong retaining ring.

Then just put it all back together and you're done. I tried using an o-ring before the weed wacker line and I don't think it was as loud.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts