Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to remove fender/rocker panel rust?

5K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Mustanq 
#1 ·
Hey so I have a white 1991 LX in very great condition when I got it couple months ago but it has some minor rust spots on the rocker panels and minor around the fenders. I'm working on the exterior for now since its a 2.3L and not much to do to the engine for now. So after I added louvers, tint, stripes, taillights, I want to know how I can remove the rust doing it myself. The rust isn't too visible until you get real upclose to it. Should I just sand it to the bare metal or just enough that the rust removes? And then after should I use bondo to fill in any minor gaps? Then sand again, prime and paint in layers?

Also for the fenders, I have minor rust as well and the paint is starting to chip. Should I use the same process as above?

If anyone knows of a good site where this is explained in steps would be very helpful too and I'd really appreciate it!

Other than the minor rust spots, the original paint is in really great condition. Any helpful advice or tips would be great thanks!

#2 ·
Egh nobody knows lol.. I know what to do now thanks to practise.:bigthumbsup

#4 ·
I don't know how I missed this.

Yes, you have the idea. To really get rid of rust, you have to take it down to the bare metal, then use a rust inhibitor to keep it from coming back. Then use the filler as only to smooth the surface, it isn't intended to fill holes or gaps. Then prime it as least twice, then a two coats of primer sealer, then paint in layers. You of course would sand it between each layer of primer, each sealer, and then each paint.

#5 ·
Thanks for the help, now I know I'm on the right track. After I do all this would I need to apply a clear coat because I hear thats what makes it shine? Also when would I need to buff out the edges so it can blend in with the rest of the color? Thanks again for the help anyone gives me. I'm pretty much set once I know the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.