Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I remove this bolt without breaking it? I also need to know which direction to turn it facing the engine. I do not have the battery connected and am alone in this venture. The ultimate goal is to replace the cracked timing chain cover. HELP!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
its a regular threaded bolt...so lefty loosy righty tighty....in other words...i had a hard time too...but i used a breaker bar and put it on the bolt and stuck the end on the floor and took off the ignition coil wire to the distributor and cranked it...the engines torque will loosen the bolt for u...remember to take out the washer too when u pull the harmonic balancer...

·
Registered
514 Posts
the bolt is normal thread so turn it counter clock wise

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
It's a 15/16" socket. It's tight as hell. Some people have had luck with putting the breaker bar on and the end of it resting on the ground on the drivers side and cranking the motor for a second. It will break it loose.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Put the car in gear.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ok are you sure about that one????
I just put the car in gear and the engine still rotated??? Have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
196 Posts
THere has to be a way to torque that bolt down without using an impact gun. Does anybody know?

·
Registered
2 Posts
just tighten it

just tighten it as much as u can the torque from the engine will tighten it as u drive thats why its so hard to get off

·
Registered
256 Posts
Put your ratchet on and tighten as much as you can before it turns the crank, then take something with a little bit of weight like another 1/2in ratchet and continue to tap it little by little, this should tighten it down enough to not be worried about it.

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
Um...bad...bad idea

Using the engine torque to remove the harmonic balance bolt is probably not the safest idea.
Use an air wrench.
There are torque specs for the harmonic balance. Off the top of my head I think it should be torqued to around 70 ft/lbs, then loosen the bolt half a turn, and retorque to approx. 38 ft/lbs.
You may need a bolt that is longer than the stock bolt to seat the harmonic balance on the driveshaft because often the harmonic balance won't fully seat. If it won't seat on the driveshaft, you won't be able to thread the stock bolt. Use the longer bolt to seat it, but be careful not to over tighten it. Remove the longer bolt, and then torque the stock bolt to the proper specs.

At those specs, you shouldn't be able to turn the motor over if you place the transmission in 3rd or 4th gear. You don't have to gorilla wrench your harmonic balance on. I'm not sure about AT cars. If your engine is still turning over, maybe remove a spark plug and jam one of your cylinders up with a long screwdriver. :) (Don't really do that...)

I got this information from Steeda when installing UD pulleys, but don't quote me on the ft/lb specs...they may be slightly off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Life Saver

its a regular threaded bolt...so lefty loosy righty tighty....in other words...i had a hard time too...but i used a breaker bar and put it on the bolt and stuck the end on the floor and took off the ignition coil wire to the distributor and cranked it...the engines torque will loosen the bolt for u...remember to take out the washer too when u pull the harmonic balancer...
:bigthumbsup:worship Hey I just wanted to say thank you for this tip......It worked better then i thought....now how do i tighten it :scratchchin

·
Registered
412 Posts
Try reading the post above your last post by sillyrabbit. He spent alot of time laying it for ya.:wavey

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
:bigthumbsup:worship Hey I just wanted to say thank you for this tip......It worked better then i thought....now how do i tighten it :scratchchin
If it's a manual transmission put it in 5th gear.

Damper to the crankshaft 79-90 Lb-Ft .... Large bolt with washer

Pulley to the Damper 35-50 Lb-Ft... 4 small bolts with washers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hit a dead end

Ok thank you for the tips now another problem arose.....
I was following the manual and now after I have everything off the car, balancer pullies pump ect. it says "now take your hoist" um I don't have one why didn't it say that before I took everything apart lol, anyway is there a way to remove the oil pan without a hoist and finish this job so I can get the tensioner into the timing cover reset timing (how the heck it got to 43 degrees advanced is beyond me) and then the fun part of putting it back together... Anyone please help! :smoke:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts