Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you remove the white letters from black plug wires to make them look factory? Tried arm and hammer majic eraser, brake cleaner, steel wool, fingers.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Did you try WD-40, rubbing alcohol or paint thinner.

Take care,

Dion

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
4.5 inch grinder with 60 grit sandpaper pad?
:bigthumbsup

I wish I had a real answer for you, I'm going to agree with newtoponys and sugget paint thinner.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think I will take the chance on paint thinner. The last time I used it the plastic melted. I think that was laquer but we have some different kinds.Yea I'll try the sander!:nogrinner

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
If this car is your '66 then the factory wires DID have white letters on them. That is why many of us pay $45 a set so we have the 'correct' labeling on the wires.

In case you want to remove any lettering, lacquer thinner works just fine. I have never had it cause any problem cleaning a spark plug wire. Never had to sand one either which would be both time consuming and make them look odd.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I agree with Ivy - lacuer thinner has removed the lettering from my wires. Put a 1/2 dollar spot on a white rag, white so that the color of a rag does not transfer to the wires, let the rag breath/soak for for a few seconds and wipe the wires with a constant motion letting the thinner dry between wipes. If you soak a wire or get too much thinner on it at a time, it may turn the rubber to goo. I have not seen this on spark plug wires, but have seen it happen to tie rod boots and other rubber-like things.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I don't think I will take the chance on paint thinner. The last time I used it the plastic melted. I think that was laquer but we have some different kinds.Yea I'll try the sander!:nogrinner
No spare wires to test it on? Usually when I buy a set it has more than 1 coil wire.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No spare wires we are keeping scraps for other projects.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One plug wire to go.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ssmudged it with an Arm & Hammer Majic Eraser and then used brake cleaner to get the rest off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts