Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

My engine is removed and I'm in the process of removing all the black under-coating from the engine well. So I can spray paint the engine well the same color of my car (Tahoe Turquiose.

I plan to cut-out the rust area its small size of a half dollar.
I never did remove rust before I'm new at this so bear with me.

After cutting-out the rust ares I'll solder a piece of sheet metal from the back of the fender. Making sure that the area is very clean (down to bear metal)
I'll solder the sheet metal against the clean-cut hole that I made.
I'm using solder for the simple fact I don't have a welding machine and that's O.K.from what I'm told. The area I'm repairing is just behind the windshield washer bag, there's no stress there.

Now after I sold the sheet metal I'll come around to the front in the engine well and fill-in the area with:BONDO. I let it dry over-night and than sand it to accept the primer.

O.k. guyus please let me know if I'm on the right track. :rolleyes:
Need your imput for guys who have experience getting rid of rust on their cars the RIGHT WAY. :winks

THANK YOU
GOD BLESS
Schooner :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
For an area that small, solder should do nicely. Make sure you get all the rust out first - by cutting or blasting.

I use a MIG and it produces a strong repair, but solder is the next best thing in my opinion. Fiberglass is pretty strong too - and does not absorb water so rust won't come back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Another way to do it would be:

1. Do not cut out the affected area
2. Sand area to bare metal
3. apply rust converter to neutralize any remaining rust
4. Use solder to build up this area
5. File down solder to follow contour
6. level using bondo or equiv.
7. Sand prime & paint

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi UDengineer

Thanks for you helpful imput. However, when you say ". . . apply rust converter
to neutralize any remaining rust"
Just what does that stuff do?
You mean if I can't get all the rust out, I apply this rust converter to the area and then start soldering?
P.S. where can I buy this rust converter stuff?

Thanks again
Schooner

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.