Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to get started on replacing the vinyl on the front and back seats on my 66 mustang coupe. I have read and re-read a dozen articles on doing this. I have never done a project like this before, but it looks doable to a first timer. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions from somebody who has already taken on and completed a project like this. Thanks.....Ace

·
Registered
547 Posts
You should be able to do this project just fine if you take your time. A couple suggestions based on past experience. Install the new vinyl on a hot day. Let it sit in the sun a while. This will give you some extra wiggle room. Get a good pair of hog ring pliers. The ones that come with the kits are usually crap. Your hands will thank you later. I also picked up a mini bolt cutter (about 8") to clip the old hog rings. Using standard wire cutters is a pain.

I'm sure others will offer good advice as well. Let us know how it turns out!

G

·
I did the seats on my 66 and it was an experience! Some tips... everything listed above PLUS take it slow. I would also invest in new seat buns to get a nice uniform look under the upholstery.

Wear some thin latex gloves and you'll avoid a few cuts. I also second the notion of getting good hog ring pliers... they will save you a heap of grief.

Give us some before and after pics too!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the insight guys. I really appreciate you taking the time to write those posts. I will heed all warnings and proceed with caution. Once I figure out how to post pics...IT'S ON!!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Did my 66 seats about 3 years ago and I echo all the advice above. The joy of knowing you did it yourself is worth all the effort. One more little tip is to cut yourself a series of little slots in the seat foam (invest in new foam!) so that you can actually see the listing wires. Connecting those wires to the frame is the toughest part - that and getting the seat back onto the seat bottom!:shigrin Another tip is to take lots of photos of the seats as you take them apart - that's invaluable in putting them back together.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
heating the vinyl up with a heat gun when you're stretching it around the various contours of the seat will also help.

·
Registered
448 Posts
If you have an eye for detail and a lot of patience you can do this yourself. Read as much as you can on the forums and Mustang Monthly for good tips. I did them all by myself, but after prying the seat halves back together I realized it would be best to have a helper. That was the hardest part for me. I used a piece of plastic and a prybar to get the hinge over the pin. You have to be very careful while doing this or the hinge will puncture the lower seat cover. Do the back seats first since they are a bit easier and it will give you a better idea of what to expect with the fronts. Take lots of pictures before hand so you can refer back to exactly how it was before you took it apart (especially when it comes to the front tracks and springs...)

I did not know it at the time, but after removing both original seat covers, I found that both of my lower seat frames had cracked welds and were bent out of shape. Luckily my buddy had a mig welder so I was able to weld them up. I also decided to get new seat cushions since the original ones were not very firm anymore.

1966 Ford Mustang Interior Upgrade - Project Build - Mustang Monthly Magazine

Black Furniture Suitcase Chair Baggage

Leather Furniture Couch Car seat cover Car seat

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOW.....Even more pearls of wisdom. Thanks guys.i am waiting for the materials to come in as we speak.

My next questions is...what constitutes a good set of hog ring pliers?? I see lots of them on web sites, but I hate using the " If it costs more it's better" theory to buy stuff. Not the best way to do things. I am a lot more of the "informed decision" buyer type guy.

I will definately take my time too. Thanks for that piece of advice. I was just released from the hospital in Germany after being wounded again in Iraq. So I have the convalescent leave which allows me to take my time and get this done right.... It's actually a project I picked for therapy!! My dad hooked me up with the car to help me get me used to working this hand with tools again and to re-learn finite tasks and dexterity.It's Starting to sound like good therapy for my wrecked hand and bad therapy for the mind!! lol..lol...
I really appreciate all the input guys. Very cool of you all. Take care. Ace

·
Registered
448 Posts
WOW.....Even more pearls of wisdom. Thanks guys.i am waiting for the materials to come in as we speak.

My next questions is...what constitutes a good set of hog ring pliers?? I see lots of them on web sites, but I hate using the " If it costs more it's better" theory to buy stuff. Not the best way to do things. I am a lot more of the "informed decision" buyer type guy.

I will definately take my time too. Thanks for that piece of advice. I was just released from the hospital in Germany after being wounded again in Iraq. So I have the convalescent leave which allows me to take my time and get this done right.... It's actually a project I picked for therapy!! My dad hooked me up with the car to help me get me used to working this hand with tools again and to re-learn finite tasks and dexterity.It's Starting to sound like good therapy for my wrecked hand and bad therapy for the mind!! lol..lol...
Major respect to you for your service to our country! Working on cars is great therapy both physically and mentally. My dad lives in Soperton, GA and I was born in Brunswick. Go Dawgs!...

I got my set of hog ring pliers in a kit that included all the hog rings and they worked good enough for me. I have very strong hands but still had to squeeze pretty hard on a few. If you are having issues with grip strength, I would say that a good set would have longer handles and be spring loaded...

Another tip I just thought of was to use needle nose pliers to make the holes for the seat back clips, and when you position the seat back in place use the needle nose to squeeze the clip a little bit to make it easier to push them into the hole...

HOG RING & PLIER KIT - CJ Pony Parts, Inc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Boat735. I appreciate it. I will grab an all inclusive kit and if the pliers suck I will get another set. cant wait to get this off the ground and completed!!!

Funny I moved from Ca to Ga. And you went for Ga. To Ca........GO DAWGS!!

·
Registered
715 Posts
I worked in an upholstery shop for 3 years, this is all good advice I would add take your new foam and place a thin plastic big like what you get from the cleaners over the foam and then put the cover on, this makes the adjustments much easier.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks mounty. Thats some solid advice. I often thought about the upholstery "sticking" to the padding and then me having a wreck with the project.

Also thanks for the advice on the foam/buns. I planned on that. I have even thought about using capet padding over the old seat cushions. They are in decent shape, just a bit smashed down from years of sitting on them.....I will probably just break down and get the new buns though.....

·
Registered
247 Posts

I've been following this thread, redoing my seats is my next project I'm going to do, good advise here to take in. Thank you for your service I hope you recover quick and fully. Happy Independence day!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.