Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well when i got my car the airbag light was on and the airbag fuse is blown and new ones blow every time i put them in. Now i pulled the airbag light and then i got a very annoying beeping. How can i stop the beeping or possibly fix my airbag system?

G

·
Mustang 1995 Air Bag Diagnostic Codes (pretty sure this will work for a '98)

First thing you'll want to put your bulb back in, that way you can count the flashes and you'll get rid of the beeping.

The fuses keep blowing because there's a fault in the system (it's doing it on purpose as a safeguard against airbags accidentally deploying). Counting the flashes will help you remedy the problem by following the steps in the link above.

Afterwards you can replace the fuse and clear the light using the procedure once again found at the link above.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do i determine which code has been set? The commas separate the flashes and the number is how many times it flashed: 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, then it stays on the rest of the time.

G

·
Yes, that's a 12. From the provided link:

Low voltage at air bag diagnostic monitor Pin 14 can be caused by:
An open in the battery circuit that would prevent battery voltage from reaching air bag diagnostic monitor Pin 14.

A short to ground on the battery feed circuit between the fuse and Pin 13 or Pin 14 of the air bag diagnostic monitor.

A concern in the charging system causing battery voltage to drop below 8 volts.

Basically if you have a dead or drained battery or faulty alternator, this might happen. It could also be a wiring issue but that's less likely.

·
Banned
465 Posts
did you try using a paper clip to reset the airbag system?

there is a little grey plug under the passanger side dash, just hangs down, grab it and shove a paper clip in it for 5 seconds, you will hear a beep.

worked for me.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Jozsefsz, you are telling me to check for short to ground or opens in those circuits, what plug am i supposed to be checking and where is it located? Now that i have started looking into this i really want to fix it.

@Copmagnet, i tried the paper clip thing and held it there for about 30 seconds and never heard a beep. Whats up with that?

G

·
The link attached contains the proper procedure for tracing and clearing the code. It's not as simple as just shoving a paper-clip in there, you have to do it with the key in and at just the right time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts