Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried doing a search on the forums before posting this and I didn't get any returns in regards to this subject...

I'm running 87 octane now (factory of course) and I'm curious what is the best way to switch over to 93 octane. Is it as easy as get the tank very low and then fill up with 93 octane?

At what point do you switch your vehicle over (flash the PCM with a 93 octane tune) to use the 93 octane?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
I just let the tank go down to a couple gallons when I switched and tuned.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Let the tank get pretty low. Low enough to make you nervous. Then fill with 93, and drive around for a while. You want to burn up any fuel that might be in the lines; probably less than a gallon. Then do the tune.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Or if you have some 101 unleaded available in your area you can put in some of that then make the switch to 93.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, I didn't know it really was that simple. I figured I'd have to put in additives and use some kinda dipstick and blah blah blah. Again, thanks!

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
How to switch from 87 to 93 octane properly?
It is not that simple. To do so properly, you must break up with 87 octane before going with 93 octane. If you slip some 93 octane into your tank before then, you're just cheating on 87 octane.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Go stand in the corner Gary :dunce:
That was priceless.....

Gary, Gary, quite contrary, how does your garden grow?
With silver bells, and rotten wells, of amusing, funny, jokes:D

·
Registered
422 Posts
That was priceless.....

Gary, Gary, quite contrary, how does your garden grow?
With silver bells, and rotten wells, of amusing, funny, jokes:D
Now you're just being silly...

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is not that simple. To do so properly, you must break up with 87 octane before going with 93 octane. If you slip some 93 octane into your tank before then, you're just cheating on 87 octane.
Actually, in that regard then, it really is that simple. See, I've only been with 87 octane in this car for a little over a month now. Having said that, that falls below two months and it is acceptable to break up without an explanation and over the phone.

Slipping 93 in the tank at this point is just a reminder to 87 that it really must learn to move on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.