Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across a 200ci with a manual 1100 for $100. Of course i had to buy it. I want to put the 1100 on my I6. My question is my Mustang has always had the holley 1940 on it. I replaced the distributor last year. When I bought it i didnt even think about spark valve or nothing...i just called napa and said i need a distributor for a 66 mustang. I picked it up put it in, car runs fine. Im guessing that means i need a new distributor that works with the spark control valve right? since the 1940 uses vacuum and mechanical right? thanks in advance! Why are my posts always so long...

I tried using search first but..we all know thats not very accurate

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
The 68 and up centrifical and vacuum advance distributor will work with the SCV carb. However a non SCV carb will not work with the older Load-a-Matic distributor.

·
Registered
913 Posts
The 1100 has an internal slot that's calibrated to work with the Load-o-Matic. A carefully calibrated 1100, and a Load-o with the advance curve properly adjusted is a very good package, giving mileage in the 20-30 range, and runs so smooth you can stand next to the car and not know it's running. The correct Load-o distributor for a 66 has no centrifugal advance. If you asked for a "66 200 distributor" and they provided one that has vacuum and centrifugal advance, you really need to stop shopping there.

I'm not sure what you are calling a "spark control valve". And I've owned, and worked on, a LOT of 65-66 Mustangs. If you mean the power valve, on the side of the 1100, that works with the Load-o.

Does your parts engine have the Load-o on it?

My opinion of the Holley is, shall we say, somewhat lower. :)

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
My question is my Mustang has always had the holley 1940 on it.
Not exactly. It don't think it had that from the factory.

The spark control valve is pictured in Fig 11 and described on pages 10-30/31 of the '66 shop manual in the section labeled Spark (Distributor Vacuum) Control System. I can't answer Joel's question since, never having owned a 6-cyl, I have never taken to time to totally understand how that system works.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Not exactly. It don't think it had that from the factory.

The spark control valve is pictured in Fig 11 and described on pages 10-30/31 of the '66 shop manual in the section labeled Spark (Distributor Vacuum) Control System. I can't answer Joel's question since, never having owned a 6-cyl, I have never taken to time to totally understand how that system works.
The Holley POS is a "service replacement" used after production of the 1100 stopped.

OK, if you now have an Autolite 1100, great. What distributor do you have?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
It's just terminology, but the SCV is on the outside, looks like a Holley power valve. The actual power valve is inside and prone to sticking, making for some weird symtoms. Usually one is won't run without choke being half closed. Drove me nuts figuring that one out, I was chasing vacuum leaks.

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for not replying..no time. Anyway...I know the I6s originally came with 1100s and the 1940 was a replacement in the 80s(?). Im not that clueless heh, i just cant get my brain to type what im thinking correctly. Anyway I have a 1940 on it right now. It has been that was since i have owned it (3 years). I was just wanting to know if there was a way, by looking at the distrib to know if it was set up for load-o-matic or not. Anyway i got the answers i needed! As always, thanks a lot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts