Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can you tell if you have mechanical or hydraulic lifters?I have a 68 302 block that I'm building up and another blown 68 motor for parts.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
You can usually hear mechanical lifters, but you could take off a valve cover and check for any valve lash. If it's a bigger lash than zero, it's mechanical.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know how to check for valve lash yet but the block i'm building doesn't have a cam or lifters and the heads are off of my parts block.I was looking to get a cam kit and wasn't sure which one I needed?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
It would depend on the camshaft that you choose. My advice is to choose a hydraulic lifter set up unless you like to pull valve covers all of the time to adjust the valve lash. There really isn't any real benefit in going to solid lifters if this isn't going to be a race car.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will any cam and lifters designed for the 302 block and do all I need is the adapter kit from summit to install them?easy conversion ?Thanks for your help guys:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I was looking at converting it and was wondering if I can use lifters and cams designed for the 85 and up block as long as I use a conversion kit?Summit has a ford racing roller cam and roller lifters for under $200

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
You need to call the tech support line at Summit and ask them. The conversion kit may or may not allow you to use a late model Ford roller cam.

The lifter bores are longer on the factory blocks designed for roller lifters plus they have drilled and tapped holes in the lifter valley to support the "spider", a bracket that keeps the lifters in place.

Because of the shorter lifter bores, some conversion kits supply a camshaft that is smaller in total diameter to provide the needed extra length in the bores. A roller lifter is taller than a conventional flat lifter. It also may have special length pushrods.

Because of the various differences in conversion kit designs, (there's several to choose from), it's best to give them a call before laying out your cash. Make a list of questions for them before calling. If you're like me you'll forget something. The tech line is open 9am to 9pm Eastern time, Monday through Friday.
1-(330) 630-0240

Good luck

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info-I did finally find an article about the length of the lifters being different.:bigthumbsup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.