Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a friend of mine gave me a set of heads that were given to him and doesnt kno wut they are and im just wondering how to tell if they are like gt40's or stock heads thanks

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
That's easy, since the heads are off the block. The "casting number" will tell you what they are. That 'number' will be D0OE, D8OE, E7TE, F1ZE, F77E, etc.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Just adding to FoxChassis, if the heads are stock 5.0's from 87-up they are E7TE. If they are 86' 5.0 heads they are E6TE.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys theres 2#'s, E2ZH-19 & D943-AA and there a few spots on the heads where it says GT i dont know if this means gt40 heads i dont kno sum1 fill me in plz

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Look on the bottom side (combustion chamber side) of the head, between the pushrod holes. Those numbers you posts are not for cylinder heasd.

NoSlow5oh: '86 passenger car heads are E6SE. The "T" in the casting number that you posted is "truck" (head), which '86 passenger cars did not have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i know nothing about ford heads except that im doing a motor swap and i have stock 86 5.0 heads and what a buddy told me are 96 or so explorer heads that are supposed to be iron gt-40s'? is this correct? they have heart shaped combustion chambers. what is the diff. between my two heads?

·
Registered
100 Posts
93lxnotchswap said:
i know nothing about ford heads except that im doing a motor swap and i have stock 86 5.0 heads and what a buddy told me are 96 or so explorer heads that are supposed to be iron gt-40s'? is this correct? they have heart shaped combustion chambers. what is the diff. between my two heads?
That is true that the late-model V8 Explorers have GT-40X heads. I think they will match up fine, but I believe they require different headers. Not sure, though. The GT-40X heads flow alot better than the stock 5.0 Stang heads. Or so I've heard anyway.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
GT-40X? Those are aluminum and certainly were not on Explorer/Mountaineer engines as OE. You're thinking of GT-40P heads.

GT-40 heads = '93-'95 SVT Mustang Cobra, '93-'95 SVT F-150 Lightning, '96-early '97 Explorer, early '97 Mountaineer, and H.O. (285 and 295 HP 5.8L) marine engines
GT-40P heads = late '97-'01 Explorer/Mountaineer engines

GT-40 "X" "Y" and "Z" heads were aftermarket (Ford Motorsport/Ford Racing) aluminum castings.

·
Registered
237 Posts
my gt40 irons say F1ZE they also have the three raised bars. I think the "P" heads have a P on there somewhere.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
F1ZE heads are from FMS SVO.

GT-40P heads have a "GTP" near the #1/#8 spark plug hole. GT-40 heads have "GT" in the same location.

·
Registered
100 Posts
FoxChassis said:
GT-40X? Those are aluminum and certainly were not on Explorer/Mountaineer engines as OE. You're thinking of GT-40P heads.

GT-40 heads = '93-'95 SVT Mustang Cobra, '93-'95 SVT F-150 Lightning, '96-early '97 Explorer, early '97 Mountaineer, and H.O. (285 and 295 HP 5.8L) marine engines
GT-40P heads = late '97-'01 Explorer/Mountaineer engines

GT-40 "X" "Y" and "Z" heads were aftermarket (Ford Motorsport/Ford Racing) aluminum castings.
:sterb: That's what I meant. Brain fart. (A $500 one, at that!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.