Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i jsut wanted to see the right steps on how to clean ur engine bay the right way, I heard that steam cleaning was a good way to do it but wut else would to the job? So i wanted to see if there was any other methods on how to clean the baY. When iam done with cleaing it iam goin to paint it like high gloss black so that baby shines!!!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
After you wash it off use Tire foam on everything and it will shine real nice.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea but iam painting it black so wuts a good to get rid of the grease?

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Engine degreaser that foams up is really good. Warm the engine up about half way then turn it off and spray it on. A power washer gets rid of grease best.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
The foaming type of engine degreaser work well. Do not use a high pressure washer and avoid water on electrical components such as the distributor. :smoke:

I hate this part worse than any other task...so be patient! :laughlitt

·
Registered
551 Posts
I did mine for the first time this summer (and its about ready for another go *shakes head*) heres what I did:
Disconnected and removed batt.
Removed intake tubes and air box.
Wrapped every connector/device I could find with foil. (All electrical connections, both ends of the MAF, back of alt, vents on alt, solenoid, dist, sensors etc, erring on the side of caution, wrapping anything I wasn't sure about)
Sprayed everything down with simple green, cleaning the batt and maf tubes individually.
Used foaming degreaser on all the
really ugly spots, and hosed the rest down with just a simple green spray.
Hosed everything off with a garden hose (on spray), and wiped all the wires/plastic/ etc with protectant.
Bad areas like around the oil neck, I used the de greaser, simple green, wire brush and a cloth.

Looked good without too much work. Hope it helps,

(And yes, a steam cleaner would have helped, but is not absolutly needed. Trust me)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey do u have any pics of ur engine bay?

·
Registered
50 Posts
The best way to do it is pull the engine, gut the whole engine compartment, let some degreaser soak for a while, and pressure wash the hell out of it. While the engine is out change some gaskets so know more oil leaks, then it will stay cleaner longer. I know.......what a pain, but you can do it in a weekend. Or just wait until you have an excuse to pull the motor anyways.

·
Registered
551 Posts
The before pic came out pretty well, but the lighting was lousey on the after (late afternoon), but you at least get an idea. BTW she's since had the stock alt swapped for a PA unit.

J

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea iam pulling the engine out wit the tranny at the same time but iam afraid that if i gut the hole engine bay then i wont know were everything goes back. I was thinking of takeing pictures doing it from that. Does anybody have any other ideas???

·
Registered
551 Posts
MUSTANG Sal 87 said:
yea iam pulling the engine out wit the tranny at the same time but iam afraid that if i gut the hole engine bay then i wont know were everything goes back. I was thinking of takeing pictures doing it from that. Does anybody have any other ideas???
Nail on the head, man. Lotsa pictures, digital cam works best, you dont have to worry about taking too many/running out of film. Hand draw anything that doesent photo well.

Be systematic about anything you take off. Maybe divide the engine bay into "quadrants" and keep parts from specific areas together.

Bag and label all bolts/nuts with freezerbags.

1 thing that'll be helpful with the wiring: get some thin plastic (like from "bubble packaged" toys, etc) cut it up into small squares, punch a hole in onne end, and whenever you disconnect something, zip-tie a tag to each end of the connector with a number or letter. That way you can clean the wiring without the tag disintegrating, and to reassemble, "A" to "A" etc.

Hope it helps,
J

·
Registered
554 Posts
Good luck...

By the way, punch your English teacher for me.

Later

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jasons99gt said:
Good luck...

Later
WOW wut a di*k thanks jason.

·
Registered
554 Posts
MUSTANG Sal 87 said:
WOW wut a di*k thanks jason.

I'm sorry man. Maybe it was the headache I got while trying to decipher your posts.

At any rate, I apologize. I don't wish ill on your English teacher. (I'm sure he/she tried.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
i did the same thing u r talking bout doing and it came out great...don't worry about the wiring it all goes in really easy after everything is done...i used "purple power" as a cleaner and it worked great! then washed it down w/ hot water, hit it w/ my air gun to dry it and sprayed it semi flat black....came out looking real nice compared to start :eyepoppin check it out.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/632155

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jasons99gt said:
I'm sorry man. Maybe it was the headache I got while trying to decipher your posts.

At any rate, I apologize. I don't wish ill on your English teacher. (I'm sure he/she tried.)[/QUOT

blahhhhahaha that was a good one u 4.6 driver

·
Registered
148 Posts
jasons99gt said:
Good luck...

Later
That was pretty damn funny. Talk about breaking up the monotany of reading posts!!

Anyway - what I did when I painted my engine was pull it completely with transmission.
Next covered or removed any bolts/wiring harnesses.
Then degreased with industrial strength degreaser (this is some serious stuff you have to wear gloves for -- i got it for free from a roommate who works at Krispy Kreme -- they use it on everything there, and if youve ever seen their floors you know it has to be some serious $hit!).
Then I rinsed it all off really really well.
That was pretty much it, all the rest was painting work... Wow I made that sound easy... :drink:
(see pics of before/after)

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
holy sh*it man that is crazy!! how much did it cost you to do that?? What kind of paint did you use and did u put a clear coat on that?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well, first like I said, I removed everything myself from the car, engine, wiring, lots of little misc. crap in the engine bay, then fenders and front bumper. While this was going on I would mark where I removed nuts bolts from in the engine bay, that way I could fill the holes not used later. I paid a guy to do the welding for me (since I suck at it) for $500 which included removing the roof skin to get rid of the sunroof which I never liked anyway and putting a new one on and filling in all the little holes plus heater core & A/C holes, air intake hole, etc.
After that I paid another guy $1000 for all the body work (there was alot of small dings/dents) which also included smoothing out the engine bay and prepping for paint.
And since I cant paint either -- I hired a guy to do the whole car, including cage and enginebay. In the bay he used Sikkens brand black (I forget the code) and then Sikkens clearcoat but the clear had some type of epoxy/resin type of mixture in it which supposedly should resist the heat of the engine bay (crossing fingers). It was either that or they put the epoxy over the clear. Now I cant remember which....
Anyway, it came out nice as you can see.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.