Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How well does powder coating hold up on exhaust components? Is the price worth it compared to high temp paint, for what you get? Is it overpriced?

I've read a lot of online stuff and powder coating seems to be a great way to go. My interest is in coating some custom made exhaust tips.

I was considering a flat black Jet Hot coating but I've read tons of bad reviews on them (many more bad than good), and considering I contacted them via their web site's Contact Us/describe what you need and get a price estimate page in April or May and they never responded, I've decided to look elsewhere.

Anyone ever done this? What was the work and how much did it cost? How well did it hold up?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Powder coating should hold up great on the tips, it is usually good up to about 1,200 degrees. For two tips it shouldn't cost more than $100.

I am looking into doing some custom agressive black tips myself down the road. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have a place that does that kind of thing, along with welding services and such. They generally specialize in off-road applications. I'll try to remember to talk to them tomorrow. I'm a bit nervous though, as everything out here tends to be grossly over priced. That's the down-side of living in the middle of nowhere: no competition for hundreds of miles in any direction.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Powder coating on exhaust?

No, don't think so.

Normal powder coatings melt at about 350-400 degrees.

The "Jethott" coating mentioned is a ceramic coating, not powder coating.

There may be a coating that the powder coater may apply to exhaust but it's not standard powder coating.

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
I powder coated/painted my GT500 mufflers black before I mounted them. That was 2 months ago and they still look great today. I remember at the time the spray can said "protects to 1500 degrees". No complaints!

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
I powder coated/painted my GT500 mufflers black before I mounted them. That was 2 months ago and they still look great today. I remember at the time the spray can said "protects to 1500 degrees". No complaints!
Did you powder coat them or paint them?

Those are two very different things.

·
Registered
373 Posts
What brand did you use?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Black BBQ paint works great for the mufflers. I wouldn't consider using it on the entire exhaust though. Ltngdrvr is correct, powder coating and spray painting is vastly different! Jet hot is like stated, ceramic coating, still different than powder coating.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Considering these are for exhaust tips and not headers, I'll go ahead and give the powder coating a whirl since a local shop will do it for a fair price. If they reach or exceed 350-400 degrees F and it starts to break up, then I will have learned my lesson and I'll report the results here.

My next step would be to use the barbeque paint or VHT or whatever, if the powder coat does fail.

Anyone have any idea how hot an exhaust tip actually gets?

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Powder coating on exhaust?

No, don't think so.

Normal powder coatings melt at about 350-400 degrees.

The "Jethott" coating mentioned is a ceramic coating, not powder coating.

There may be a coating that the powder coater may apply to exhaust but it's not standard powder coating.

The guy at the shop said they should hold up fine on the tips, though he wouldn't recommend it for anything upstream of the mufflers. They frequently "powder coat" (whatever the process actually is that they use) exhaust components on rail buggies and other desert/dune ATV's.

Of course this doesn't mean that it held up in any of the instances, just that off-roaders around here apparently do it a lot, as they had plenty of photos of their work.

I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
It might be okay on the exhaust tips but of course you didn't say that was your intention, just "exhaust"...

I doubt it would hold up on say the mufflers though.

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
Did you powder coat them or paint them?

Those are two very different things.
It came out of a paint powdercoat aerosal can. I can tell you it was a pain to use. I used the whole can on both mufflers and there was powder all over my shed. However, as mentioned above 2 months later the mufflers still look great.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It might be okay on the exhaust tips but of course you didn't say that was your intention, just "exhaust"...
It was in the 4th sentence (second segment) of my original post. No worries, though. I've overlooked plenty myself on other threads. I'm usually in a hurry when I read anyway.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
It came out of a paint powdercoat aerosal can. I can tell you it was a pain to use. I used the whole can on both mufflers and there was powder all over my shed. However, as mentioned above 2 months later the mufflers still look great.
Okay, well that's not powder coating, that's spray paint.

Powder coating is an electrostaticly charged powder sprayed from a special gun and the charged powder adheres to the part being sprayed because it is also charged, positively charged powder, negative charged part. The parts are then baked in an oven at about 350-400 degrees where the powder melts and fuses together and to the part.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've read that there is a specific three-stage process to getting the barbeque grill/VHT style paints to bond properly, each stage entailing baking in the right kind of an "oven" in temperature ranges of 450-700+ degrees for each stage. I don't personally know of anyone who has done this though, except for one guy and it seems to be holding up on his Honda S2000's tips.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got my custom exhaust tips back from the powder coating place today! Hurray! They look great! They charged me $65 for the pair, which seemd like a very reasonable price to me, considering the local economy and how the tips are constructed. They even spot-welded a hole or two that the original welder missed during the assembly.

Unfortunately my exhaust installation guy is closed until next week, so I'll have to wait until September to have them installed, as I will be deploying with the military to South Korea for some training at the same time and won't return until September.

Very sad. I was hoping to have them installed and play with the car a little before going. Oh well...gives me something to look forward to when I return.

I'm going to be replacing the exhaust system from the X-pipe back, which is why I'm waiting. I'm not about to crawl under the car in this heat. Replacing my LCA's in the middle of the night was brutal enough.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Unfortunately my exhaust installation guy is closed until next week, so I'll have to wait until September to have them installed, as I will be deploying with the military to South Korea for some training at the same time and won't return until September.
Someone is headed to UFG '11. Have fun. I've been twice myself.

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
Okay, well that's not powder coating, that's spray paint.

Powder coating is an electrostaticly charged powder sprayed from a special gun and the charged powder adheres to the part being sprayed because it is also charged, positively charged powder, negative charged part. The parts are then baked in an oven at about 350-400 degrees where the powder melts and fuses together and to the part.
Negative! It was way different than spray paint. As I said powder came out of the can along with paint. The powder got all over everything. What you're talkiing about is an industry process that meets some specific requirement and is meant to be seen, i.e. have a finish. The powdercoat spray paint I used was specifically designed for automotive high heat and exhaust applications. It was not meant to be seen.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts