Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently had 3:73 gears (fomoco) and a T-loc installed. Now the damm thing howls all the time,very annoying. Anyone have the same problem and/or hints on how to correct it??? other than putting banana peals in the differential

·
Registered
570 Posts
Take it back to where you had it done.

I had my Ford dealer do my T-LOK install (Stock gears with 38k).

Absolutely ZERO noise (except from tires)...

Hopefully it didn't already damage the gears or T-LOK.

SOHC

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
yup, your gonna want to get that fixed. I've read plenty of horror stories of that kinda thing happening.. thats why i never bought gears yet, but when i buy my blower in a yr or so imma have them do my gears while they are at it.. lol just hope it goes ok.. n doesnt have a Howling noise..

·
Registered
188 Posts
its either a bad gear setup like stl mentioned or the pinion bearings were overtorqued and now they are takin a dump. either way its bad, but the bearings if thats what is bad will only make noise for so long before they cease to spin resulting in a locked up rear. dont hold out too long to have it looked at.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
had the rear end checked today,,,the cars...The installer sais all the settings were correct,no apparent wear on the ring and pinion.Something was a .005 off and he corrected that. Bearing were/are new and ok. Suggested a Lucas additive to reduce the noise and get somemore miles on it. Then if it still makes the noise to check back where I got the gears and see if I can exchange them. Hmmm

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
You didn't go around doing wild, crazy burnouts in the first 500 miles and driving 110mph did you?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nope no burnouts for a couple hundred miles and not over 70mph,,for quite awhile yet.Only 87at the strip...
was advised to put some Lucas synthetic gear lube in it to quiet it down a bit.
Hope some of the noise gets dampened with the new driveshaft and axle housing cover.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,531 Posts
nope no burnouts for a couple hundred miles and not over 70mph,,for quite awhile yet.Only 87at the strip...
was advised to put some Lucas synthetic gear lube in it to quiet it down a bit.
Hope some of the noise gets dampened with the new driveshaft and axle housing cover.
You should try 50g of LiquiMoly MoS2 Anti-Friction Gear Oil Treatment. Great at quieting noisy gears.

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
When i looked into going with tracloc and better gears a guy at randy's ring and pinion, told me to go with something diffrent than 3.73 gears icannot remember the make, but he said they have a tendency to houl. I thnk he recommend the ford gear set up, anyway i bought a complete 8.8 take out axle from a company with 4.10's yet to put in in tho may never, Im trying to sell my car to upgared to a GT, Ill save the 4.10's for the Gt maybe

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,531 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.