Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so im driving today and my stang started making a weird howling noise..... it happens only when i begin to accelerate from a stop..... and only in low rpm's... also it doesnt happen all the time..... and the sound doesnt get worse as speed increases... it stops.... its not a real loud noise ... if i had the radio on low u probably couldnt hear it..... i just changed the filter .... put a K & N filter in.... i dont think thats what it is or thats what caused it.... anyone know or have/heard of this similiar sound? by the way... its a 98 v6 auto tranny
thanks

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
u-joints, mine do that all the time. Does yours do it all the time or only when you first start to drive for the day?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lcurle said:
u-joints, mine do that all the time. Does yours do it all the time or only when you first start to drive for the day?
what are u-joints??? it seems to only happen when i accelerate from a full stop... it also doesnt happen all the time.... even when i let off the brake and let the car roll it will make a lil squeaking noise or a lil howl... hard to explain the sound.... the car doesnt roll strange, and it doesnt seem to lose any power.... it might be the air filter that i just changed... i have to check if it sealed correctly... that sleeve that goes in the fender is a real pain in the azz... shoulda got a CAI rather than the K & N.... im gonna check it in the morning and see what happens.... any feedback would be great
thanks

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
U-Joints are universal joints that connect your transmission to the drive shaft, and the drive shaft to the rear differential through yolks. Basically an adapter. The U-joints have grease in them, and sometimes it may get worked around and there might have been a clean spot on the berring, which makes a humming sound. same effect when you barely let off the brakes and they are still touching the rotor, you get a humming sound.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is it ok just to leave it???? or should i do something about it?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
you have a 98, so they should be good still depending on mileage on the car. If your close or over 100,000 I would look at getting them changed, or you can go by your scheduled service mileage and change them when they need it.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
MylilPony said:
ok so im driving today and my stang started making a weird howling noise..... it happens only when i begin to accelerate from a stop..... and only in low rpm's... also it doesnt happen all the time..... and the sound doesnt get worse as speed increases... it stops.... its not a real loud noise ... if i had the radio on low u probably couldnt hear it..... i just changed the filter .... put a K & N filter in.... i dont think thats what it is or thats what caused it.... anyone know or have/heard of this similiar sound? by the way... its a 98 v6 auto tranny
thanks
doe sit sound kind of like a toilet? or like a whine?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
more like a whine...... it actually sounds like a brake might be dragging when i let off the brake and let the car roll and then step on the gas.... past a certain point it stops..... i dunno .... without takin the tire off.. the brakes look new :sosad:

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
MylilPony said:
more like a whine...... it actually sounds like a brake might be dragging when i let off the brake and let the car roll and then step on the gas.... past a certain point it stops..... i dunno .... without takin the tire off.. the brakes look new :sosad:
high pitched mechanical?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kscoyote said:
high pitched mechanical?
yea..... i took both back tires off today and checked the brakes... they look like new... so i sprayed them with brake cleaner... i havnt driven the car yet... so i cant tell u how it sounds.... the sound doesnt happen all the time.... we'll see i guess:eyepoppin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.