Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When light hits the paint in certain places on the car you can see scratches into the clearcoat finish. (Black Paint) Was wondering how is everyone elses paint holding up. Ive had my car for about 8 months now and can see the swirlys in the clearcoat.:sosad: What can I do to get them out of the clearcoat? Cursing at them doesnt seem to help.
Maybe I shouldnt want my baby to look perfect.:sterb:
05' GT Premium, Black on Black, White Rally St, Performance Chip, K & N Cold Air Intake Kit, Steeda White Face Gauges, Mustang Tunung Hood Lift Kit, 5 Speed Transmission, Lots of Polished Covers and Caps, 8" Shorty Antenna

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
hahaha man o man mines doing great! Got it Yesterday!:green

·
Registered
816 Posts
Well, with only 1800 miles on the odo, mine is doing fantastic. Black is the worst color for showing defects. Hope someone has some ideas for ya, otherwise, you will have to live with them. :doh:

·
Registered
260 Posts
HazMatLadder26 said:
When light hits the paint in certain places on the car you can see scratches into the clearcoat finish. (Black Paint) Was wondering how is everyone elses paint holding up. Ive had my car for about 8 months now and can see the swirlys in the clearcoat.:sosad: What can I do to get them out of the clearcoat? Cursing at them doesnt seem to help.
Question: How are you cleaning / polishing yours (products and technique) and how many times or often have you been doing it?

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
2500 miles on the satin silver and rock chips are doing in the front chin area. No more black cars for me… ever. No matter how careful you are, something will scratch the paint. I found a little zit and a piece of hair in the clear coat just to the left of the antenna base. I not going to mess w/ it. I've been tempted though.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Zaino

Get some Z5 polish from zainobros.com specially made for removing swirl marks on black cars. After the Z5 if you want to make your stang shine even better try some Z2. These products are safe for clearcoat and imo are amazing.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have noticable orange peel on my redfire. I dont know what to do about it. Its waxed and shiny but if you walk down it you can see it. The clearcoat seems to chip kind of easy.

My wifes 2003 Mazda minivan is black and has much less orange peel and its not near as delicate as my GT. The GT is waxed and detailed, stored, never driven on the interstate but once. never been in the rain and has a little over a thousand miles since april. So far the only damage done to it was by the dealer when i took it in for a nail.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WillCarson said:
I have noticable orange peel on my redfire. I dont know what to do about it. Its waxed and shiny but if you walk down it you can see it. The clearcoat seems to chip kind of easy.

My wifes 2003 Mazda minivan is black and has much less orange peel and its not near as delicate as my GT. The GT is waxed and detailed, stored, never driven on the interstate but once. never been in the rain and has a little over a thousand miles since april. So far the only damage done to it was by the dealer when i took it in for a nail.
Im glad Im not the only one going thru this....
The clearcoat does seem kinda cheap. Mine also is in the garage. Only been on the highway a few times. Only time its been rained on is when im caught in it.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Beastiezzz said:
Get some Z5 polish from zainobros.com specially made for removing swirl marks on black cars. After the Z5 if you want to make your stang shine even better try some Z2. These products are safe for clearcoat and imo are amazing.
Thanks for the tip.:thumbsup

·
Registered
559 Posts
With Satin Silver, the imperfections can hardly be noticed...

I "clay barred" the car this week and dude, what a spectacular finish...

Best of luck with your black stallion because any dark color looks great if its maintained regularly...

Dave ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
HazMatLadder26 said:
Maybe I shouldnt want my baby to look perfect.:sterb: ______________________________________________________
05' GT Premium, Black on Black, White Rally St, Performance Chip, K & N Cold Air Intake Kit, Steeda White Face Gauges, Mustang Tunung Hood Lift Kit, 5 Speed Transmission, Lots of Polished Covers and Caps, 8" Shorty Antenna
Imo Black is the most awesome color.i own a black car now.However,like many other people posted,black is virtually impossible to keep looking in mint condition.That was my main reason for ordering Tungsten. I've stressed so much over black but I have been beaten and have accepted that my paint is not perfect anymore.Sorry:sosad:

·
Registered
483 Posts
My GT is black, and I thought I learned my lesson with my previous car which was black, and the car before that which was black, and the car before that which was black... I must be a glutton for punishment or just plain stupid (no need to respond to that, thanks). :sterb:

I am NOT happy with the appearance of the clearcoat. It seems to nick/chip/scratch very easily, and besides the bizzilion swirl marks on it courtesy of Ford, it has the orange peel effect going too! :mad:

Anyway, I have been meticulous about caring for it since birth, but it does see the highway and traffic so I have no one to blame (technically) for the nicks/chips except myself. But as far as the overall quality of clearcoat (too thin, swirl marks, orange peel): it's just plain CHEAP.

Oh well! The engine still kicks a$$!

~Mo:laughlitt

·
Registered
121 Posts
i just turned over 10,000 miles on my black '05. mostly highway miles too. i have four small chips on the hood and lots of swirl marks and minor (< 2 inch) scratches. i recently put on mcguire's NXT wax and it did a sweet job of covering up the swirlies and the small scratches. it supposedly fills them in with cells, but you can still see them, just not nearly as bad. it also darkens the paint a little while making it shine. i recommend it unless you want to go with zaino, which is more expensive i believe. i need to get some touch-up paint for the chips. any recommendations for standard black? after waxing last weekend, i drove it at twilight and had people commenting on the mirror-like finish. it looks awesome.

G

·
ALL new cars today have thin paint jobs and clearcoats, imo.

$$ savings imo.

You need to hand wash these Ponies, I would not go to car washes nor use a power buffer.

Thats just me but w/e...

·
Registered
121 Posts
sonny1213 said:
Bobby Hull? is that you?
Yes! somebody finally got my handle right. you win! sorry, i'm not bobby. but i think the blackhawks could use him this year. he'd still be their highest scorer!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
blackhawk 9 said:
Yes! somebody finally got my handle right. you win! sorry, i'm not bobby. but i think the blackhawks could use him this year. he'd still be their highest scorer!
GO SABRES!!!!!!!!:shigrin

·
Registered
84 Posts
Black has got to be the worst colour for swirl marks and scratches. I vowed never to buy a black car for that reason.

·
Registered
121 Posts
mooch said:
Black has got to be the worst colour for swirl marks and scratches. I vowed never to buy a black car for that reason.
i'm definitely learning my lesson. it's just that this is the first black car i've owned and i swore that someday i'd buy myself a new black mustang. i'm dealing with it. it just looks so good when it's darker outside. it's worth all the trouble to me. plus, it gets me outside to rub her down more often! who doesn't like that?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts