Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys ive been throwing around the idea of doing a split port swap and/or a 4.2 stroker kit. I was wondering what would the hp gains be for a split port swap with a 4.2 stroker kit on a 1998 V6 5-speed?

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
You're doing it wrong.

F150 4.2 split port 205 hp vs your car 150 hp.

No need to buy and assemble a kit when for $500-800 you can get a good used complete factory 4.2 split port engine. That's what I did.

Got my engine for $450 plus tax w 55k miles. After I sold all the stuff I didn't need from the F150 engine, & sold the aluminum parts off my old engine, the new engine was basically free lol

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what all do i need to keep from my 3.8L engine to do the 4.2L swap.
Also can some one explain how to do the swap like whats all needed, i read a couple of forums and i got all confused when it talked about the girdles and stuff.:kooky:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like is there anything from my current single port 3.8 engine that i will keep. Or will i take the bottom end out of a 4.2 and the top end out of a 3.8 split port?

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
ALL 4.2s are split port. So just find one in good shape and you don't need to swap heads.

You will need to use an 01 up oil pan, pump pickup, and dipstick. Also 01 up flywheel if you have T5.

Depending on how the truck PCV is setup you may want to keep your valve covers. I used the 05 valve covers with the large ID heated PCV and it was a huge mistake and PITA to adapt all the hoses together.

You keep your accessories and brackets obviously.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so do i need to swap the computer as well since i would basicly be doing an engine swap?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts