Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm looking at getting an 82 GL 5.0 from this guy. he is the origanal owner of the car. it has everything factory along with 55k origanal miles. how much HP did the 5.0's put out in 82?

·
Registered
516 Posts
i think around 170 to the crank

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's what i thought. i'm a little concerned. that's pretty darn weak. what kind of mods could i do to get that bumped up quite a bit?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
157 horses and 240 foot pounds for '82. The '83 and '84 had 175 hp and maybe 245 ft. lbs. The '82 block itself may not be as stout as, say an early '90s specimen, but you can easily use it as a foundation for a badass combo. From what I've read, I don't think E7TE heads are that much of an improvement over the '82s, and you can always install an aftermarket roller cam setup. A good cam, some heads, induction, and exhaust will make a killer 'Stang. If you add a five speed, get a Tremec, it uses the fourspeed bellhousing. The rearend and brakes are equivilant to those of the '87-'93 four bangers.
That is a rare car which has a significance which most people don't realize. It is the first 5.0 High Output, the one that started the second coming of muscle to the American auto industry. I call it the '64 GTO of the '80s. If you mod it out, save the original parts. If I had that car, I think I would not mess with it.
I'd love to see some pics...
Check out www.foureyedpride.com

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Make sure it's a 5.0/302 and not a 4.2/255.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a 302. what are some good heads to put on it, and what kind of intake manifold and carb would be a good setup?

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
i would keep it stock since there arent too many of them around

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.