Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

66 Mustang, 289 auto, power disc brakes up front, drums in the back. I bought 17" x 8" Bullitt wheels to replace my old 14" Craggars, but needed spacers to clear everything because they are positive offset. I bought 1.5" spacers for the front and back, the kind that bolt to your hubs and have new lugs for the wheels to attach to. They looked just like this:

My problem is that these spacers are not hub-centric, they are lug-centric. They center just fine when you bolt them up, but the weight should be on the hub not the wheel studs. The adapter I bought has a center bore of 82.5mm (almost 3 1/4"), which is larger than the stock hub size.... anyone know offhand the stock diameter?

Should I be OK putting hub-centric rings between the stock hub and the adapter?

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Most aftermarket wheels are centered on the studs, so structurally they are not a problem. As long as that are truly centered, that is, near zero runout when spun on a front hub, you shouldn't have a problem. If you have visible runout, then you might try hub rings to get the wheel to center.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
The original Ford wheels are what today is called lug-centric. The hole in the center of the Ford wheel is not what aligns it to the hub nor does it bear any weight. There is a bevel inside each hole in a factory Mustang wheel that mates and aligns to the conical end of each wheel nut. The hub- vs. lug-centric issue tends to get blown way out of proportion.

Think about factory, styled steel wheels. There is nothing in the center of those wheels that comes anyways close to mating with a wheel hub. Its all done with the conical ends on the wheel nuts. The ring inside those that mates to the hub looks much like what you show except its thinner. The weight of the car is transferred to the hubs by the clamping force that holds the wheel tightly to the hub. Just don't try to drive with loose lug nuts.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds good to me! Thanks for the input guys. I didn't realize the stock wheels didn't sit on the hubs either, I just assumed they did since most late model cars are made that way. The new wheels and the adapters both have a bevel and the new lugs I bought have a matching bevel, so it does center nicely. Some article I read about lug-centric vs. hub-centric just got me worried.

When I bolted the adapters to the factory hubs I used some red Loctite and tightened them to 100 ft-lbs... so they shouldn't move. Not sure on the quality/grade of the original wheel studs but the ones in the adapters are grade 10.9

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
I just measured the hub hole in the center of a stock Ford wheel vs the styled steel ones. The hole in the center of the stock wheel is around 2.5" while for the SS ones its 3".

Your wheels and spacers should work fine. 10.9 is about a grade 8 which is probably better than the factory used.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome thanks Ivy, I guess Ford never intended for them to be hub-centric. If the stock wheels studs ever break or get stripped I'll replace with grade 8 ones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts