Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Mustang, but I figure this is a problem that can happen to any car, since my mom drives a Toyota and the same thing's happening to her windshield.

On humid mornings, when I first wipe the windshield, it takes off all the humidity on it. The issue is not the wipers - they're brand new.

When I try to drive or (god forbid) have a light shone on it (from headlights, the sun, street light...etc), the strange marks show up. I use the wiper again and the windshield is okay for a few more seconds, until it fogs up again. Turning the air onto it does nothing. Cleaning it with windshield fluid does nothing. Even trying to dry it before I leave does nothing (humidity is stubborn)

I just keep wiping until I get to the main road, where I speed up to 45 mph and the speed dries the windshield, making the marks fade away into clear, crisp glass like it usually is.

When I got to my school this morning I took some photos of a piece of the glass that was still humid (most of it had dried by then)

Here's a photo of the marks:

and a photo of the humid part (lower right) compared to the dry part (upper left)

I've tried Mother's California Gold Water Spot Remover and it seemed to fade the marks it had on the windshield a little (first it just looked like translucent drops, like old bird poop or faded white paint) but after a day or two, the marks returned to their old visibility. and now it's all over the windshield.

Has anyone had this problem before? Do you know how to fix it?

I live in North Carolina. The humid summer is clearly not my friend, but I'm worried about this. If it's this bad now, how bad can it get when the frost comes?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have the same problem down here in New Orleans. Every morning I can barely see out the windshield. Two things help. One, you could park under something. When I park under my carport there's no humidity on the windows. Two, turn the heater on. When I crank the heater all the way up I find that the water disappears faster.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Water spots can leave deposits and etch the glass . Try using some mild polisher on the glass such as McGuires scratch x. Then to keep your windows spot free wax them just like you would you car. I use detail spray to clean them because that stuff does not streak, then I use quick spray wax.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

1 - 3 of 3 Posts