Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought a 2003 Ford Mustang Convertible and everything was going great until just a little while ago when I was stopped at a red light and all of a sudden my stereo started humming. So I turned it off and it quit, then when i turned it back on it started back up again!! So i started to drive because the light turned green and my sound system was reving up just like my car was! How can I get it to quit humming???? I believe it has the stock mach system in it! Can someone give me some good advice on how to fix it please?

Thanks,

Iceman

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
the humming is from your RCA's running down the same side as your power wire. That is usually the case. you may want to check and see if the stereo is completely stock, if there have been some aftermarket adjustments then you are goinh to want to fix the problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it is completely a stock system. So what do i need to , separate the wires or what? I'm not to mechanical with cars...sorry! LOL

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Im not sure of the layout with the mach system, I know there are amps and some RCA's but I dont know how they ran them in the factory.

·
Registered
437 Posts
There are no RCAs on a factory Mach system. Every thing is connected with a data bus system. Basically, every thing is hard wired together. Can you tell which speakers this humm is coming from? Does it happen when the engine is off? Can you still hear it with the volume all the way down? Is it coming through the tweeters up by your mirrors? Check all these things then let me know. I think it might be a bad amplifier, so we are going to see which one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Storkdork said:
There are no RCAs on a factory Mach system. Every thing is connected with a data bus system. Basically, every thing is hard wired together. Can you tell which speakers this humm is coming from? Does it happen when the engine is off? Can you still hear it with the volume all the way down? Is it coming through the tweeters up by your mirrors? Check all these things then let me know. I think it might be a bad amplifier, so we are going to see which one.
Yes the noise is coming from the two from speakers inside the door, not the ones next to the mirrors. No it does not happen with the engine is off! Yes I can here it when the volume is all the way down! What ever you can do to help...I would certainly be appreciative!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank You

·
Registered
437 Posts
I just realized that you have a convertable, so I assume that the rear speakers are in the side panels next to the back seat? With that being said, I am not too familiar with the location of the factory amps. In my 02 they are up under the rear deck and your car doesn't have a rear deck, so check your trunk out and find the amplifiers. There should be 2 amps, one for the front and one for the rear. You might not see them right away, they either will be hidden in the trunk behind some paneling or they could also be under the passenger seat. Not sure which but what you are looking for are two silver boxes with lots of wires coming out of them. Oh yeah, is the humm coming from the rear speakers too?? I know this post isn't much help but without actually seeing the car and locating the amps myself, we are going to have to take this step by step.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of your help, I really appreciate it!!!! No the humm is not coming from the rear speakers. But I will check out the location of the amps...I'm pretty sure they are in my truck, since I know there is nothing under my seats, because I constantly clean my car out. One of my friends had mentioned to me that it could be a ground wire that has came loose or something. Because now i have noticed that the humm is not all the time, it is every once in a while. Like for instance when i was going over a speed bump and my back end went over it, it started the humm!!!! Made me so mad to. But anyways, what do i need to look for on my amps??????

·
Registered
437 Posts
Well I was thinking the same thing about a loose ground, but I would think it will either be one of the plugs or (cringe) internal. check to see if the plugs are all the way in the amps. With the help of a friend, some one sit in the car with it running and the stereo on with the volume all the way down so you can hear the hum, then wiggle each plug to see if it goes away. Again, you should have two amps so we need to narrow it down to the one that powers the front speakers. If this works then it should be a simple fix. If not, then it might be internal. Also, when you do find the amps, make sure they are mounted well and not loose at all. Let me know what happens....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey man i certainlly appreciate everything you have helped me with. Your help has been awesome. But unfortunetly all of the puzzling and thinking has been for nothing!!!! My car was parked outside of my house last night, on the curb. A drunk driver plowed right into the front passenger side of my car and toar it all to help!!!! Luckly i have full coverage, and the suspect has insurance as well. So hopefully everything can be repaired, Lord willing!!! But again thanks for all of your help.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Oh man, I feel for you.... hope everything works out for you. :sadcry: You know what this means though.... time to UPGRADE! :drink:

·
Registered
27 Posts
ouch...sorry to hear about your ride, man. About the location of the amps though.....in my 96 conv., the stock amps were located behind the rear seat. You can take the rear seat out, or remove the panel from the trunk side to get to them. One is on the driver side and one is on the passenger side...not sure which one powers the front though....good luck...

·
Registered
123 Posts
haha aw man, i was reading this post by post down the line and when i read the part about your car being hit, it sounded almost like a cheezy book or something, i feel your pain though, i have a 91 vert and i JUST!! finished washing and waxing the hell out of it, took a couple hours, and the lady is pulling out of her driveway across the street, and my car is parked in the road across the street, while im cleaning my brothers Hummer she backs into my car, and being the jerk i am, i say, "Wow that sounded bad, glad that wasnt my car", boy did i feel like a **** after i said that when my brother started laughin his ass off

p.s., willing to bet $50 that when your car is all fixed after the accident, it will still humm :winks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.