1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
825 Posts
I couldn't stand the rattle. Took it off and sold it. There are better options.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Can't comment on that model directly, but about 20 years ago I had a '69 F100 with a 3-on-the-tree OEM shifter that broke, so I cut a hole in the floor and mounted a Hurst shifter right on the tranny. It wasn't what I'd call quality by any stretch. Kind of sloppy action, actually, no matter how much I fiddled with it.

·
Registered
825 Posts
could u not find a fix to the rattle? longer bolts, loctite, white lithium grease, etc?
On principal alone having to fix a new part is just wrong. Yes I tried all of the "fixes". They are temporary to mask a bad design. Hurst needs to step up and resolve the issue in my opinion.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ive had a hurst for a year, never tried another so no comparison, but I do love my shifter, some lithium grease solved the rattle for me. Its a really short throw, if I let someone else drive the car its one of the first things they notice. Its notchy, but I like it that way. Never had an issue getting a gear.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
On principal alone having to fix a new part is just wrong. Yes I tried all of the "fixes". They are temporary to mask a bad design. Hurst needs to step up and resolve the issue in my opinion.
+1 - They seem to just be coasting on the Hurst name and the history behind it...

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I'll start out by saying my only previous experience with an aftermarket shifter was on the T5 in my old Mustang & Turbo Coupe- and I guess remote shifters are different.

At any rate...

I got the Billet Plus mostly for the looks (the price was decent too).

It was pretty to install, once I got it in I thought it had very high effort for shifting through the gears, kinda notchy, and I didn't like the handle placement.

I put on a longer Hurst handle, as such:

It's easier to shift and puts the knob in a much better position (especially with drinks in the cupholders), plus I think it looks cooler.

I had some rattles, put a little penetrating oil around the ball (from the top, at the base of the stick), the rattles disappeared.

Now...were I to do it again, since I ended up buying a new stick anyway...I'd probably buy something that was actually USA-made like the Roush or Tri-Ax. It really bugged me that the Hurst was made in China.

·
Registered
158 Posts
okay so we're at 0-2 on who likes hurst
I have the Hurst Billet in my 2011 GT and like it a lot. No issues with rattle and it shifts great. Much improved over the stocker. Just a note that any aftermarket shifer with a stiffer bushing will transmit more transmission noise into the cabin.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
572 Posts
Here is a thread I posted few month ago about my install of the Hurst Billet Shifter http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...nstalled-hurst-billet-shifter-my-2008-gt.html

Basically since then I added some Teflon tape to the threads on the shift ball and some white lithium spray grease on the main shift bearing it is very quiet. I paid 190 for mine from AM when they had a 10 % off sale. An MGW may be better but by the time you add a new shift knob it's twice the price.

I think for the price, performance and the old school look and feel, the Hurst really belongs .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts