Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it was wonderful weather today and had parts laying around.

I installed a Hurst Short shifter (chrome stick white ball) and a C&L intake w/filter and shroud.

No Tips.. no tricks. The directions tha came with both were very accurate and thorough. It did help to have a few more tools around than they mentioned, but I see no reason why you couldn't do it with the tools they suggest, just would take a few mor minutes.

It really does help to have a buddy when removing the stock shifter out of the car after disconnecting everythign and slipping in the new one. :cool:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hi Kyle F,

So howz the Hurst working? I'd like an aftermarket shifter but hate the typical trans whine that usually comes with them. Is the shifter quiet? Does it shift better/faster more reliably? Give!

Cheers

Kyle F said:

I installed a Hurst Short shifter (chrome stick white ball) and a C&L intake w/filter and shroud.

No Tips.. no tricks. The directions tha came with both were very accurate and thorough. It did help to have a few more tools around than they mentioned, but I see no reason why you couldn't do it with the tools they suggest, just would take a few mor minutes.

It really does help to have a buddy when removing the stock shifter out of the car after disconnecting everythign and slipping in the new one. :cool:

·
Registered
294 Posts
SportsPix said:
Hi Kyle F,
So howz the Hurst working? I'd like an aftermarket shifter but hate the typical trans whine that usually comes with them. Is the shifter quiet? Does it shift better/faster more reliably? Give!
Cheers
Well, I'll chime in on the Hurst.
The install wasn't bad. The hardest part was putting on the rubber boot.

Is it quiet? Well, it's just different.
The stock one seemed to transmit a whiney noise (that I wasn't too fond of) and that's pretty much gone with the Hurst.
Have you ever thought you heard a click or thunk when the stocker shifted into gear? Well that's all you hear with the Hurst, tethunk-tethunk on every shift. It's the sound of the shifter against the floor of the car through the rear bushing. I don't think it's bad and I'll take it over the whine (through the shaft) any day.

Does it shift better? depends on what better is to you. The Mrs. drove it and it was stiff, hard to shift into/out of gear and she made the mistake of trying to find 3rd and wound up in 5th.
I love it because with a flick of the wrist it just falls into the next gear. (clickthunk-clickthunk)

Does it shift faster? Yes. More reliably? Well, it goes right where you tell it to. With the pattern so close now the difference between 1st 3rd and 5th is not very much and the only real trick to learn is going from 5th to 3rd. One things for shure, you should never miss a 2-3 shift again.

The most striking difference to me was how tall the ball is and that it's moved back quite a bit.
It may not be the best shifter but for $200 and the "cool" looks of the chrome stick and white ball it may be the best deal. anyway, I like mine.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The above post pretty much sums up all my feelings and my thoughts on how the sifter works.

I love it... would have had it any other way.

I know some have talked about adjustable stops... my questions is why. This thing makes the sifts so shor and compact I dont know why you would need them,

·
Registered
294 Posts
Kyle F said:
The above post pretty much sums up all my feelings and my thoughts on how the sifter works.

I love it... would have had it any other way.

I know some have talked about adjustable stops... my questions is why. This thing makes the sifts so shor and compact I dont know why you would need them,
When you're really slammin gears down the quarter mile (and I mean really slammin) the stops in the shifter take the punishment and not the stops inside the transmission.
And yes, you can tear up a transmission that way.

I don't plan on using (or abusing) the car rough enough to worry about it, but for some people it's a must.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd like to say yall have helped me make up my mind.I was considering the hurst,the steeda triax,and the pro 5.0.but i like the old school look of the hurst and it has the stops to prevent damage thanks:cool:

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I installed the Saleen, its the cheapest mod i've done, and from what i hear from everyone else that had a $300 shifter, well its really about the same with less noise, I think someone in here got rid of their tri ax and got the saleen one. and for 30 bucks you cant go wrong..

·
Registered
294 Posts
mustang0546 said:
I'd like to say yall have helped me make up my mind.I was considering the hurst,the steeda triax,and the pro 5.0.but i like the old school look of the hurst and it has the stops to prevent damage thanks:cool:

Sorry if I misled, the Hurst dosen't have the stops. That's prolly why it's cheaper though.

I was just trying to explain what they do and that I really don't need them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I still like the look of it.Athough I have'nt seen a pic of one installed does anyone have one or know where on the net I could see one installed:cool:

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Any1 notice how the JLT or C&L intake + tune affected their gas mileage?

·
Registered
294 Posts
mustang0546 said:
I still like the look of it.Athough I have'nt seen a pic of one installed does anyone have one or know where on the net I could see one installed:cool:
it's in first gear, just so you know

Attachments

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tw0scoops123 said:
Any1 notice how the JLT or C&L intake + tune affected their gas mileage?
On Highway trips my C&L and Tune offered up about another 5-10 miles on the tank... in town I put my foot in it more... sooooo... Lower:winks

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Kyle F said:
On Highway trips my C&L and Tune offered up about another 5-10 miles on the tank... in town I put my foot in it more... sooooo... Lower:winks
HAHA SWEEET. I was thinking since the tune allowed more air and fuel i thought the mileage would go down.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That looks sweet old school.After looking and shoping around the net,LMP seems to have the best offer at 198.00 and free shipping,also had a banner saying included is a hurst diecast truck and the hurst equiped emblem of coarse while supply lasts.So I went ahead and placed my order.Shipping shouldnt take too long seeing there based not to far down the road from me. thank you for the pic, totaly helped in final decision

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hi Kyle,

I was just wondering how much higher the top of the new shiftball is compared to the stock Ford knob. Also, is the new shiftball heavy like a cue ball or is it light plastic? TIA

Cheers

Kyle F said:

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SportsPix said:
Hi Kyle,

I was just wondering how much higher the top of the new shiftball is compared to the stock Ford knob. Also, is the new shiftball heavy like a cue ball or is it light plastic? TIA

Cheers
Liht like pastic... I was surprised, but when mounted on... it feels firm.

Seems like the shoft ball is in the same location.

Here are some pics that might help you out

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was just wondering.I have a stock bullitt shifter knob,and since my shifter is due at the door step tomarow,does anybody think it will fit the crome lever? I am just curious even though that will be the first thing i'll probably check tomarow.Any how,love the leather and int kit in your car Kyle.Did that come from the factory like that?:cool:

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mustang0546 said:
I was just wondering.I have a stock bullitt shifter knob,and since my shifter is due at the door step tomarow,does anybody think it will fit the crome lever? I am just curious even though that will be the first thing i'll probably check tomarow.Any how,love the leather and int kit in your car Kyle.Did that come from the factory like that?:cool:
Nope it didn't

Oh and the facotry shift knob has a different thread pitch than the Hurst. Or so I was told... I didn't try mine out. From what I understand though... you are SOL on that one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yea I noticed that today.However I also noticed that the bullitt knob has a steel insert thread in it so I'm going to take it to a local machine shop and see if another size can be placed in it to get it to fit.also I'm going to have to remove the lower shank and drill out the recese for the locking nut to fit in. I think I can get it to work but I'll see.Outside diameter of both knobs are pretty much the same.The look alone is worth the effort.:cool:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts