Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the shifter last week. Love it.
I have a concern that I may have the linkage nut set to tight. The stock one was so easy it shocked me. I put it back on a little tighter.
Not cinched down though. Didn;t look like the bushings are compressing. The 1-2 shift is the tightest and notchiest of all. 2-3, 3-4, 4-3 glass smooth. How much more effort was needed to go from stock to Hurst. Basically how much is to much. Easy to put it words??????

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Installed the shifter last week. Love it.
I have a concern that I may have the linkage nut set to tight. The stock one was so easy it shocked me. I put it back on a little tighter.
Not cinched down though. Didn;t look like the bushings are compressing. The 1-2 shift is the tightest and notchiest of all. 2-3, 3-4, 4-3 glass smooth. How much more effort was needed to go from stock to Hurst. Basically how much is to much. Easy to put it words??????
You're looking for torque specs for the linkage?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not really. I have heard 15lbs give or take. I re-read my thread and it is confusing...sorry. I expected the pull effort to be more. Not sure how to gauge to much based on the tightening of the nut. I tightened the nut down to the point that I feel comfortable that it won;t back off. But concerned it may be to tight. Did by feel not by torque wrench.The 1-2 shift is the one throwing the flag for this. It has quite a different feel than the other shifts. Thats is what is making me wonder. More of a sanity check question than anything. That shift takes more pull than the others.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Not really. I have heard 15lbs give or take. I re-read my thread and it is confusing...sorry. I expected the pull effort to be more. Not sure how to gauge to much based on the tightening of the nut. I tightened the nut down to the point that I feel comfortable that it won;t back off. But concerned it may be to tight. Did by feel not by torque wrench.The 1-2 shift is the one throwing the flag for this. It has quite a different feel than the other shifts. Thats is what is making me wonder. More of a sanity check question than anything. That shift takes more pull than the others.
The 1-2 shift is notchy with the Hurst so that sounds normal.

·
Registered
106 Posts
What you may have to do is tighten it until the nut touches the linkage, then back off a little bit. It's probably a good idea to put some threadlock on it so the nut doesn't loosen.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
What you may have to do is tighten it until the nut touches the linkage, then back off a little bit. It's probably a good idea to put some threadlock on it so the nut doesn't loosen.
+1 on that...and don't forget to put thread locker on the shifter handle bolts as they will work loose if you don't. For some reason the instructions don't tell you to use threadlocker on those bolts (unless they've changed the instructions), but you need threadlocker there too.
It sounds like your pull effort is fine...you were just expecting more and it's really not that much more effort...I really noticed almost nothing more at all. It's just a shorter throw that is notchy...ka-chunk, ka-chunk, ka-chunk. Feels like a muscle car instead of a beemer.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I reviewed over previous posts. Used thread locker on all nuts and bolts. Going to recheck them this weekend since I put about 500 miles on the set up so far. Also just FYI for others with '08 cars. In the instructions, where it were talks about the transmission mount of the shift rod - you are to pull two metal flanges out and move to new shifter. Mine had one piece with the flange on one side the bushing. The metal sleeve did not go flush with the other side of the bushing. Mayne 1/16 from bushing face. Discussed this directly with Hurst. Should not be an issue. We'll see.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.