Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been seriously considering getting the Hurst short shifter with some upcoming bonus money but then I read this thread..

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50372

Does anyone actually have one installed? Is it causing issues? I certainly don't want to install something that makes it difficult to shift. If it's tighter then fine, but I don't want harder.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I've had mine for several months without a missed shift. It seems to be getting less of a notchy feel in all but neutral to first. That can take a little effort. I pop it into neutral at stop lights so I don't have to keep the clutch depressed. Otherwise, all the shifts are very positive and firm. It's my daily driver and I love it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would be interested to know from those who do what the deal with these aftermarket shifters is all about? I posted the thread on the "2nd gear syncro loss" after I anstalled a Steeda short throw conversion kit on my 05. I do not blame the shifter for this problem or even me the driver as I do know how to shift and am not a newbie in the performance car hobby.
Anyway, on older cars I know that many had stock shifters such as these new Mustangs do, made by the auto company. Many would install a Hurst or other aftermarket shifter to improve performance. On older cars the entire shifter including linkage was changed with much improved action and it was a complete change of the entire unit and it was all external.
On these new cars most of the parts of the shifter are internal and are not affected by the replacement of the external parts of a Hurst or other replacement shifter unit. The Steeda kit I used requires the dis-assembly of the stock unit and replaces the shift lever with a shorter one and hence the "short shift".
Any of these new shifters is just a ball and socket affair and any of them can only shorten the throw as you are not changing the shifting parts that do the real work inside the transmission. If you have a problem such as I do the problem is the internal shifter rail or other problem. The external shifter should not have much to do with it if it has a problem. It is just a lever and nothing more.
So changing to a hurst or other unit should not affect anything but the length of the throw and probably the feel somewhat as a loss of leverage will make it harder to do the work of shifting. Am I right about this or am I all wrong?
BTW the 05 goes in for warrany transmission repair next Monday. I know the service advisor, so I am getting it fixed. I will let you know on that one.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dougas said:
I would be interested to know from those who do what the deal with these aftermarket shifters is all about? I posted the thread on the "2nd gear syncro loss" after I anstalled a Steeda short throw conversion kit on my 05. I do not blame the shifter for this problem or even me the driver as I do know how to shift and am not a newbie in the performance car hobby.
Anyway, on older cars I know that many had stock shifters such as these new Mustangs do, made by the auto company. Many would install a Hurst or other aftermarket shifter to improve performance. On older cars the entire shifter including linkage was changed with much improved action and it was a complete change of the entire unit and it was all external.
On these new cars most of the parts of the shifter are internal and are not affected by the replacement of the external parts of a Hurst or other replacement shifter unit. The Steeda kit I used requires the dis-assembly of the stock unit and replaces the shift lever with a shorter one and hence the "short shift".
Any of these new shifters is just a ball and socket affair and any of them can only shorten the throw as you are not changing the shifting parts that do the real work inside the transmission. If you have a problem such as I do the problem is the internal shifter rail or other problem. The external shifter should not have much to do with it if it has a problem. It is just a lever and nothing more.
So changing to a hurst or other unit should not affect anything but the length of the throw and probably the feel somewhat as a loss of leverage will make it harder to do the work of shifting. Am I right about this or am I all wrong?
BTW the 05 goes in for warrany transmission repair next Monday. I know the service advisor, so I am getting it fixed. I will let you know on that one.
Yeah. That's what I was thinking too. Since it's just a different stick how could it cause missed shifts other than just getting use to the new shifter.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have one installed. It's high effort and transmits a definite "thunk" up through the tunnel, but I've never missed a shift and don't plan on changing it (though I might put the rubber bushing back on the rear mount).

·
Registered
273 Posts
i've got the Hurst installed. its a bit notchy but that will get better as it breaks in. and Dougas is right on the money. a shifter cannot cause you to miss a shift. you might miss a shift because the shifter is different from what you are use to. but the shifter itself wont cause it.

i've had mine for a couple months now.......i love the way it looks...the way it feels.....and have had no problems of any kind. its just different than stock. i love the dang thing.
a shifter is like a pair of shoes.........what feels good to one....may not to another. but my Hurst is there to stay. i think its an improvement over stock....but to each his own.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had my Hurst in for about a month in my '05. The shifts are firm and takes more effort than stock but its not like you are flexing your bicep to put it in gear. Neutral to 1st seems to be the shift that takes the most effort and that's only about 25 percent of the time. The other times it glides right in. Going from neutral to reverse may be a little hard too but nothing that you can't do. The Hurst does exhibit a 2 part feel. It's like thunk - thunk..i.e. 1st to neutral to 2nd. I'd imagine that not all people are going to like this.

No issues with mine so far and it is staying. I had a Hurst in my '94 stang for 10 years before I sold it for the '05.

Only minor problem I had was the bolts that attach the chrome stick to the shifter got loose on me last week and I had to retighten them with the allen wrench. If they get loose again I may try some threadlocker. Kind of hard to get a torque or any leverage with the small allen wrench I used but I did tighten it as tight as I could by hand and used the washers that came with the unit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts