Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was googln around yesterday and found a post somewhere about a guy who decided after dealing with his unknown rattle issue with his short throw hurst for such a long time to try and put some White Lithium Grease all around the ball bearing and see what happens. Low and behold he found out that the very annoying rattle in 2nd and 4th gear disappeared. I decided to try this very same concept and went out to buy some of this grease at Lowe's for 4 bucks. Took my shifter cover off, greased the bearing up and then went through all the gears for about 5 mins making sure the grease went in. Well i can tell you that this is a proven method in getting rid of that rattle!:bigthumbsup My shifter is silent in every gear, even when punching it..

If you have a hurst short throw in your stang and cant figure out what is causing the rattle and already made sure all your bolts are tight, try this method and see what happens:)

Im not taking credit for this at all, just re-posting for all the other hurst lovers out there if they are having the same issue.

I was seriously thinking about getting a different shifter because of this annoying rattle, not anymore..:nogrinner

B
0 Posts
Hurst rattle

I'm still waiting to get my back from the shop so I can give mine a shot but it is good to hear that another forum member tried and was successful.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I can confirm this too, did this a long time ago. If i'd have known other people had the same problem i'd have posted! ;)

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I can report this also just worked for me on a '08 V6 stick. I know its an old post but a lot simpler that than pool hose insulation remedy people posted.

Just pull up on the shifter plastic trim from front (snaps in and out) pull up shift boot than rubber boot that seals around floorpan. Fill the bottom of shifter ball and socket with lithium grease, shift it around, will find it no longer rattles and much easier to shift.

Make sure you have some towels the spray cans can get stuff on you seats, spray gently not full blast.

Make sure you get the big rubber boot back in the groove around lip of floorpan.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts