Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got and partially installed a new Hurst shifter that I got and had a few issues with the install and need a little advice. The first problem I am having is how exactly the old seal that stopped the water and dirt from getting into the car is to be put back on as it does not seem to fit very well over top of the shifter boot that hurst supplies to seal the top end of the shifter from the elements. The second problem I had was that when I put the Shifter Boot back on over top to cover up the hole in my dash and put the shifter nob back in it would not stay in 5th gear and would just barely stay in 1st and 2nd. The boot seems to be pulling my handle back because when it is off it is fine. Any suggestions on dealing with these small isues?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have an older Hurst shifter in my car ('85). I did not reuse the dust/water boot. Like you I could not get it on, and I did not want to cut and hack to get it to fit. I only had a problem with it not being on once when it was a torrential downpour. I did buy some insulation material and put it around the shifter however because it seems like all the heat from the exhaust system comes right up the open hole. I did not experiance the second problem that you are having. I did not have to reuse my stock shifters interior boot. The Hurst should have come with its own rubber boot. Did you also adjust the stops on the shifter correctly?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had the same problems. I am very happy with my Hurst shifter though and would still recommend one! Nice soild shift and doesn't rattle/vibrate like a lot of the others do.

Instead of putting the old lower seal over the Hurst seal/boot, I cut the lower seal to the "ring" in the seal that matched the approximate 3" diameter of the shifter base and used that as the lower "boot" to seal the shifter to the outside of the car. (I had installed a Billet Plus shifter so I'm assuming you're doing the same). You do want to seal the tunnel, a lot of noise and heat comes up throught that small hole!

Regarding the boot up top, you'll probably have to go without the boot or find a different one. The shifter handle is different than the original and the original boot is too short - it's so tight that it pulls the car out of gear.

You can just find a bigger/longer boot if you want. I myself went to the junk yard and got the plastic console base/bezel from an automatic car. It's essentially the same as a 5-speed without the boot. (You can use your original base and just take the factory boot off if you want, I just wanted to save the original boot/bezel/base for the future in case I wanted to put it back). I then cut an approximate 8" x 8" piece of 1-1/2" foam with a 3" hole in the center of it and put it over/around the lower seal and Hurst boot to fill in and level off the "hole" in the console. I then cut a thin piece of rubber about 8" x 8" (a tire inner tube works), cut a 3" hole in the center of it to slide down and around and fit in between the rings of the Hurst boot, and layed it flat across the whole area. I then snapped the plastic bezel back on the console.
Put a little ArmorAll on the rubber piece and it'll look great and it doesn't "pull" on the shifter handle any more!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually it is a comp. plus that I installed but I think I could do the exact same thing that you have done. Thanks a lot for the great instructions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.