Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one have the new Hurst shifter yet. This rubber bushing is driving me crazy. When I get mine back form the shop I plan to change it

·
Registered
273 Posts
kerg said:
Does any one have the new Hurst shifter yet. This rubber bushing is driving me crazy. When I get mine back form the shop I plan to change it
i have the hurst shifter in mine. absolutely love it. short quick positive shifts and almost impossible to miss 3rd. it just adds more fun to driving this car.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i enjoy mine as well. i am thinking about the back knob instead of the white one.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I haven't missed third gear but I missed 4th gear with this hurst shifter... I missed it like 3 times so far!!! I let my friends drive it and they all told me to go back to stock shifter cause the hurst was to much trouble!!! I love the looks but I don't have time to fight it in gear running down the 1/4 mile..

·
Registered
49 Posts
2k5stang said:
I haven't missed third gear but I missed 4th gear with this hurst shifter... I missed it like 3 times so far!!! I let my friends drive it and they all told me to go back to stock shifter cause the hurst was to much trouble!!! I love the looks but I don't have time to fight it in gear running down the 1/4 mile..
Is it possible that the "offset" is affecting your shifts? Paradoxically, the Hurst lever offset is in the opposite direction of the stock one, and reversing this MIGHT affect your perception of where the lever is being pulled. The instructions used to have a pic that was different from the text. The text is the one to follow, offset to the passenger side (which is exactly the opposite of the stock offset direction).

·
Registered
21 Posts
2k5stang said:
I agree with your friends. It is what I did. The shifter is way too notchy, noisy and it is impossible to speed shift correctly with this thing! I put my stock shifter back in.

If anybody wants to buy a Hurst I have one for sale $100.00 and its yours.

·
Registered
110 Posts
when I first installed it I had it backwards but trust me it takes a total of .5 seconds to realize it cause it's impossible to find any gear it's so sloppy... The problem with the hurst is you have to FIGHT it into gear, It's not hard to find 4th when you are going from 3rd... It's how hard you have to pull back to get it in gear is what I can't stand... What happens is I will be racing and going try to shift into 4th and if I don't do it hard enough the first time it won't go!!! That's when I start playing with it to go into gear and accidently go into second instead... I have now learned to give up the race and just go straight to 5th if I miss 4th.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The only improvement the factory shifter needs are urethane bushings. The Steeda bushing kit is cheap ($28), and should be tried before spending $200-plus.
Weather a shorter throw is an improvement is as much about opinion as Ford vs. Chevy. A shorter throw means higher effort. Some drivers find out too late that they like the ratio better on the factory unit. Try the bushings first.

G

·
I've said all along I lub my stock throw. I do have long arms but, I have no issue hitting the gears, after I put on a B&M Tee handle. The stock Euro knob made me miss all kinds of shifts. Try a new handle grip first. It is night and day.

The older Stangs needed the short throw as the stick was so far forward, I think it is a reflex from Mustang owners that this mod is necessary, given the aftermarket heat, noise and vibration issues, I am staying stock. But, I know alot of guys posted they lub the ST mods.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where do you get The Steeda bushing at and how do you replace the stock bushings whith a press or is it simpler than that

·
Registered
30 Posts
www.steeda.com

you can buy just the new mounting and linkage bushing kit or
a steeda shift arm ball and collar with adjustable stops or the complete upgrade all done for you by steeda using an O.E.M. frame.

jb

·
Registered
829 Posts
Thanks! I just bought my bushing kit. I am going to try this first.

BadPuss said:
www.steeda.com

you can buy just the new mounting and linkage bushing kit or
a steeda shift arm ball and collar with adjustable stops or the complete upgrade all done for you by steeda using an O.E.M. frame.

jb

·
Registered
394 Posts
Nobody answered it, so...

How hard is it to change just the bushings?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts