Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help with installing a Hurst VMatic 2 Automatic Transmission shifter. The mechanical portion is installed, but the wiring diagram shows only two wires coming from the neutral safety switch, which is removed. I have four wires. Has anyone installed this shifter on a 1966 Mustang. If so, could you help with a wiring diagram for the neutral safety switch and back up lights. :happyhapp

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
The wire #32 Red/Blue Stripe and #140 Black/Red Stripe should be the two wires you're talking about. #32 is power from the Ign. Sw. (when it's in the start position) to the starter solenoid. #140 is power in (with the Ign. Sw. in the on position), to the back up lights. The switches interrupt these circuits. There will be power supplied to the switch and when depressed by the linkage, the circuits will be complete.

There should be a 4 pin connector that the original Neutral Safety Switch pig tail connected to. That's where the 4 wires are located. Two of one color and two of the other.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Greek. I was using only two of the four wires and using two of the wires going to the original shifter. I'm guessing from what you've said that all four of the wires coming from the original neutral safety switch should be used. On the Hurst shifter, there are four wire hook-ups. Two of them are for the neutral safety switch and two are for the backup lights. Thats why I was confused. Also, the factory manual doesn't show a color code or backup light circuit. I had to go to Veronica's homepage to get that information. The next day I get to work on the car will be Tuesday and I'll try using the wires you mentioned. I hope that works. Thanks again. I was stumped:happydance:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.