Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a K & N Aircharger. In the instructions it said to remove the hydrocarbon trap. I know my wife calls me blind and if it were a snake it would have bit me, but I couldn't find it in the factory air unit.

Is this a part that Ford only installs for cars in certain states with different emission laws?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should have done a search before I posted, but I think I answered my own question. If I understand right, Ford had stopped installing these by my build date of June 05.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Correct. They are no longer installing them.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hydrocarbon filter

I also installed the K&N Cold Air Intake and came across the same issue.
However, in my case the car came with the hydrocarbon filter (ordered 12/9/04-delivered 4/9/05).

When I installed the K&N intake I already knew Ford had stopped installing them on cars assembled after mine. But I figured since it came with it, I would just leave it in, not knowing if it would hurt to leave it out. And I must say that it was a real B*tch to get out, but with patience it can be done.

In any case, what is it's purpose and can I take it out without hurting any of the factory settings? :dunce:

·
Registered
70 Posts
It's purpuse is to trap hydrocarbons after the engine is turned off.

I removed it without issue. I have heard that if you have a high flow filter, the combination of that filter and no HC trap may trigger a lean condition and CEL. I'd keep a stock filter handy just in case.

I used needlenose pliers to yank it. Do it slowly, pull only on the outer metal cylinder, and work it back and forth carefully.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts