Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a flash-flood in my (poorly drained) neighborhood last night...went thru a puddle which was _much_ deeper than I thought!

Engine sputtered and stalled out, with no loud noises of any kind from under the hood. Pulled the plugs and air filter, dried _all_ the water from cleaner box, cranked starter and blew water from cylinders.

Replaced plugs, engine turned right over, sputtered for a sec then smoothed right out. White smoke for 3-4 seconds, then normal looking exhaust.

Shut down, got new filter, but when I came back and put it in, engine would not crank at all - starter does crank engine, it sounds like when your battery has enough power to light up the dash but not turn over...one ignition key turn = one click. Repeat, same thing.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
hey, welcome to afm and the v6tech forum :)what happens when you jump the battery? look into the battery cells with a flashlight. see if they are clear or all fogged.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
*blink* I was so focused on the 2 cylinders filled with water, I didn't even think about checking the battery, haha. It _is_ a couple years old now. Jeez, age encroacheth on my girl already. :)

I'll go check, thanks.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
the battery was just a pre check before the starter that was under water( which was not good) but if it was cranking, you might get lucky. i had that happen to a 6 cyl mercury outboard once. i squirted some oil in the cylinders, rebuilt the carbs and fuel pumps. it came out of it ok.

·
Registered
766 Posts
anything electrical that has to do with the engine when running or starting should be the first place to look. Hope the battery isn't dead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.