Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, you may remember a thread about a week ago where I said I was dropping my car off for body work because I dented it while being careless while pulling into my garage. Well I picked it up from the body shop today and while following my mom to drop off her car at the dealer im going around a corner at about 20 mph (maybe 25) and my car hydroplanes so i try to turn it back and it does a 180 degree spin right into a telephone pole. After eyeing up the damage i estimate about 3-5 thousand dollars. It really just isn't my week :weeps

·
Registered
63 Posts
amazing how someone can lose it at 20-25 mph.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Don't go buying any lottery tickets.
You've just had the worst luck lately. Here's hoping it'll get better.:bigthumbsup

G

·
Thank God you're OK... that's the main thing... Wishing you the best - hoping things get better real quick for ya!

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
Sorry to hear your paying the body shops rent this month. I would just stay home and start next week on a better note. It will get better.

·
Registered
971 Posts
So, you may remember a thread about a week ago where I said I was dropping my car off for body work because I dented it while being careless while pulling into my garage. Well I picked it up from the body shop today and while following my mom to drop off her car at the dealer im going around a corner at about 20 mph (maybe 25) and my car hydroplanes so i try to turn it back and it does a 180 degree spin right into a telephone pole. After eyeing up the damage i estimate about 3-5 thousand dollars. It really just isn't my week :weeps
I am being dead serious when I ask this question.......How does anyone hydroplane at 20-25 mph? Are you running slicks? The physics involved to lift your almost 4K pound car off of the asphalt/concrete at 25mph is a function of area of contact patch of your tires, the fact the water is incompressible, and having little or NO tread on your tires to shed water, and the speed you are traveling (this is how fast water accumulates under your tires versus how fast it sheds).

Are you sure you didn't goose it in the corner and break traction and lose it? That makes a heck of a lot more sense. I did something very similar to that in my dad's car 25 years ago and put it in a ditch. If these cars innocently hydroplaned at 25mph then either no one would buy them (or at least never drive them in the rain) or the insurance companies wouldn't insure them unless the policy was 3-4K per year.

I ask all of this not just of you but anyone else on the forum because I have a GT arriving very soon and if it is that squirrely then maybe I should go a different direction.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I am being dead serious when I ask this question.......How does anyone hydroplane at 20-25 mph? Are you running slicks? The physics involved to lift your almost 4K pound car off of the asphalt/concrete at 25mph is a function of area of contact patch of your tires, the fact the water is incompressible, and having little or NO tread on your tires to shed water, and the speed you are traveling (this is how fast water accumulates under your tires versus how fast it sheds).

Are you sure you didn't goose it in the corner and break traction and lose it? That makes a heck of a lot more sense. I did something very similar to that in my dad's car 25 years ago and put it in a ditch. If these cars innocently hydroplaned at 25mph then either no one would buy them (or at least never drive them in the rain) or the insurance companies wouldn't insure them unless the policy was 3-4K per year.

I ask all of this not just of you but anyone else on the forum because I have a GT arriving very soon and if it is that squirrely then maybe I should go a different direction.
I've had this car get squirrelly on me a couple times, and every time it's been tight turns in pouring rain. From then on, it's been little to no throttle in a turn until the car is through the turn. It sounds worse than it is I guess (in my case the culprit is wheelspin). Don't sweat it - but be careful in the wet until you're comfortable with the car. The TCS still allows ample wheelspin.

I don't want to assume about this particular situation, though. A monster puddle or some oil residue could easily do it no matter how careful you are.

Hope you get everything fixed up soon John10

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Roadstarman,
I love this car. I'm telling you that nothing has brought me more joy, and despite all these recent problems that i have been having, I have to say that its still worth it. Today was just one of those things for whether it was wet leaves or oil residue i can't be sure but in the split second that i spun it seemed like it was a hydroplane. Like my dad told me after my mom and I explained what happened, he doesn't think that had he been in the car he would have been able to avoid it.
I appreciate all of your wishes and I know I should be thankful to be ok and I am. I just don't think the gravity of what happened has really hit me yet. Thank you gain for your thoughts.

·
Registered
635 Posts
What tires are you running?

·
Registered
621 Posts
roadstarman there are some problems with hydroplaning i will admit because ive completely lost control of my vehicle before doing about 20 on a left but i think i was starting to accelerate halfway through the turn and it had just rained (not smart) i ended up spinning out and changing directions about 4 times the whole time sceaming NOOO MY CAR!! because the curbs were very high and would have done some serious damage but i kept it spinning in the middle of the road and ended up facing oncoming traffic but i came out wiht no damage to me or the car. but moral of the story the cars are fine just take turns slow in the rain and if your afraid of hydroplaning keep off the gas and at low speeds when turning especially if ther is a painted crosswalk

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
You can hydroplane easy if after its been dry for a while,it first starts raining.The first rain will mix with the dirt or oil on road and make it real slippery.I've seen several cars slid off at ramps like that.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
anyone know the approximate cost of a replacement quarter panel, hood and front bumper?

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
You can hydroplane easy if after its been dry for a while,it first starts raining.The first rain will mix with the dirt or oil on road and make it real slippery.I've seen several cars slid off at ramps like that.
you but thats not hydroplaning :) I think the thread started just used the wrong terms. Sense hydroplaning is where your car is completely off of the ground and only on the surface of the water.

This sounds like its just bad road conditions and you broke traction.

That is why I dont drive my car in the rain any more. Its hard to drive with my car with all the power and not just that but there are so many more accidents in the rain. Even if the driver is not at fault for the accident I just dont like putting my self at risk like that :)

A sad story. Every time my buddy/mechanic takes is his 04 Cobra out and it starts raining he either gets bumped by some other car or a REALLY close call. He hates the rain lol.

·
Registered
403 Posts
anyone know the approximate cost of a replacement quarter panel, hood and front bumper?
newtakeoff.com has bumpers for about 200+shipping

I just got one for mine, and a new fender, and a lower valence, and a shaker hood although it wasnt 'absolutely necessary'...out in the middle of nowhere, turning left, I hit second a bit too hard , had just started to rain, about 25 mph, slid backwards off the road, thru the weeds, luckily just tore up the nose. Wasnt hydroplaning in my case at all, just being an idiot...a strong motor, a posi, a wet road and releasing the clutch quick enough that it woulda 'almost' chirped had it been dry = backwards in the blink of an eye. The Mustang handles so neutral in the dry, gotta admit grinning while sliding around corners on a few occasions, but not 'taking it easy' with a powerful car in low traction conditions wasnt very bright, and luckily got away with out hitting anything substantial enough to kill me or the car...

about your Quarter panel- if it were mine, Id say uless its really crunched up bad, have them beat it out and fill it- I'd rather have that than have them chop the car up- replacing a quarter is major surgery, and they cant redip the car in epoxy primer after welding like the factory did...let alone the fact that a new quarter will require filler in the roof anyway- our cars(like most new ones) have one piece sides- doorjamb to taillight is one panel- replacement gets a seam added usually in the roof, to me I'd rather keep the original integrity as much as possible and just have the panel straightened...just my 2 cents

·
Registered
422 Posts
Sounds like too much gas to me... Depending on the turn, I usually slow down a good amount or have the clutch petal in.

Then again, I was used to hard turns in a Jeep Wrangler (also RWD) going pretty fast (40mph+ on a 25mph rated turn) on gravel; gotta time the gas just right. I also had to drive the 'Stang all winter long...and our roads aren't exactly gently curving or sloped...

Come to think of it...I don't think I've ever owned a front wheel drive car. I personally see FWD cars as more stable in poor conditions, but RWD cars as more predictable; I prefer predictable.

So 06roadstarman, any RWD car can get "squirrley". My best advice is to throw it into slides, etc. where you are in a controlled environment. Learn what makes it break loose (harder than you would think...), how it moves when it breaks loose, etc.

G

·
Funny you all mention this - on our way home yesterday from getting the booms installed, we spotted an SN95 rounding the corner pretty fast... which I thought unusual for the conditions we had (light misting) - like I thought, he lost it, but then - like a true bone head - had to floor it when straight to show he was still cool.:so

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
Funny you all mention this - on our way home yesterday from getting the booms installed, we spotted an SN95 rounding the corner pretty fast... which I thought unusual for the conditions we had (light misting) - like I thought, he lost it, but then - like a true bone head - had to floor it when straight to show he was still cool.:so
There's plenty of them out there. They just don't know how un-cool it really is.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
it may very well have been wheel spin now that I'm reading the symptoms of hydroplaning. I was still on the road but as I came down the hill around this left hand curve (foot was already on the brake) the back of my car just kept going right so I tried to bring it back did a 180 spin facing the other way and struck a telephone pole.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.