Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I found a discussion on another web site about boosting horsepower (as I am in the market myself) and besides all the usual intake and exhaust discussion as the least inexpensive add-ons for those of us who aren't ready to modify our engines or add superchargers, and it was recommended to check out Computer tuners and Hypertech was mentioned. Anyway, I went to this web site:

HYPERTECH - Max Energy Computer Tuner

..and I am left with one burning question....

How much more horsepower can I squeeze out of my 4.6L Mustang GT (2004) which has a stock horsepower rating of 260, by simply tweaking the on board computer?

Claims I see on the web rival what you would get with a new air intake, throttle body, throttle body elbow, high capacity injectors, headers, H-pipe, exhaust, etc.

If any of you have any experience with just tweaking the computer, and what effect it had on performance, I'd love to hear. I just got my 2004 recently and looking at doing all the intake and exhaust add-ons, and if it's worth it, definitely the computer mods too, which maybe is really a part of all the mods too anyway, as I am still learning about this - the last time I modded a car though I rebuilt the entire engine when I was a more ambitious college student back in the mid 1970s.

Steve

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Hypertech

Of all the hand-held tuner makers, Hypertech makes some of the most outlandish claims (and is held in the lowest regard by Mustangers, by some odd coincidence).

A stock 99-04 GT will pick up perhaps 8 hp from nothing more than a tuner and switching to premium fuel. You also see a gain in terms of response (eliminating some of the emission-centric flat spots in the fuel-air map).

I think SCT currently has the best offering, mainly because they are so widely supported in the dyno industry, with Diablo a close 2nd (I own a Diablo, and it works quite well). Sniper has some advantages, particularly if you want to tune 2 mustangs (SCT and Diablo wed to only one car). Innovate is on the verge of releasing their first full-featured handheld tuner, and unlike the others it will include the ability to link seamlessly with Innovate's wideband O2 sensor tuning technology (essentially giving you the ability to tune precisely to a custom standard vs just using the canned tunes available from all the rest).

Its important to remember that one of the biggest advantages of the tuners is NOT the power gains from the tuner itself, but its ability to function as a smart tool. With it you can tweak spark advance, air/fuel mixture, read and clear OBD II trouble codes, adjust for gear ratio and wheel size changes, adjust auto tranny shift points and firmness, modify rev limits and speed limits, data-log your runs in real time, etc, etc, etc. Unfortunately, as I mentioned before, to DO all those neat tune-items (like advancing spark or modifying fuel mix), you need some method of monitoring the effects of the changes to determine whether or not they help or hurt you, and the tuner will NOT tell you that without the wideband O2 sensor rig.

As a first modification, I would recommend you consider switching to stronger gears (3.73, 3.90 or 4.10 being the most popular choices, and each has its fans, depending on what sort of driving you do and what goals you have for the car). A tuner will enable you to adjust the speedo to the new gears AND yield its other benefits, so do the two mods together. Cost will be about $900-1000 including labor and all the parts for the gears.

Hello,

I found a discussion on another web site about boosting horsepower (as I am in the market myself) and besides all the usual intake and exhaust discussion as the least inexpensive add-ons for those of us who aren't ready to modify our engines or add superchargers, and it was recommended to check out Computer tuners and Hypertech was mentioned. Anyway, I went to this web site:

HYPERTECH - Max Energy Computer Tuner

..and I am left with one burning question....

How much more horsepower can I squeeze out of my 4.6L Mustang GT (2004) which has a stock horsepower rating of 260, by simply tweaking the on board computer?

Claims I see on the web rival what you would get with a new air intake, throttle body, throttle body elbow, high capacity injectors, headers, H-pipe, exhaust, etc.

If any of you have any experience with just tweaking the computer, and what effect it had on performance, I'd love to hear. I just got my 2004 recently and looking at doing all the intake and exhaust add-ons, and if it's worth it, definitely the computer mods too, which maybe is really a part of all the mods too anyway, as I am still learning about this - the last time I modded a car though I rebuilt the entire engine when I was a more ambitious college student back in the mid 1970s.

Steve

·
Registered
280 Posts
From my understanding the Max Energy tuner is just something to improve the stock tune and tweak a *few* options. The older Hypertech power programmers were pretty amazing and as I recall with any mods you do after the power programmer you could send it back in to Hypertech and they readjust the tuning settings to accomodate your mods specifically to your car. I just received a max energy tuner today from my dealer(promo item I guess). The car seems to respond better, but I'm not going to make any claims off my butt dyno. I was slightly dissapointed having used a power programmer, but after research, I stick to my statement, it just seems like an introductory level tuning tool to make small tweaks and some minor adjustments. I would be interested in using a diablo tool in the future. I may get one in addition and put the hypertech on ebay.

Trippleblack certainly seems to be on point with his response, I would base a decision on his post in getting one. So if your not certian how to tune your ECU, and you don't want to F it up. Max Energy might be a good way to play. If you're an experienced tuner, I would hit up Trippleblack on a PM for some side info.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Of all the hand-held tuner makers, Hypertech makes some of the most outlandish claims (and is held in the lowest regard by Mustangers, by some odd coincidence).

A stock 99-04 GT will pick up perhaps 8 hp from nothing more than a tuner and switching to premium fuel. You also see a gain in terms of response (eliminating some of the emission-centric flat spots in the fuel-air map).

I think SCT currently has the best offering, mainly because they are so widely supported in the dyno industry, with Diablo a close 2nd (I own a Diablo, and it works quite well). Sniper has some advantages, particularly if you want to tune 2 mustangs (SCT and Diablo wed to only one car). Innovate is on the verge of releasing their first full-featured handheld tuner, and unlike the others it will include the ability to link seamlessly with Innovate's wideband O2 sensor tuning technology (essentially giving you the ability to tune precisely to a custom standard vs just using the canned tunes available from all the rest).

Its important to remember that one of the biggest advantages of the tuners is NOT the power gains from the tuner itself, but its ability to function as a smart tool. With it you can tweak spark advance, air/fuel mixture, read and clear OBD II trouble codes, adjust for gear ratio and wheel size changes, adjust auto tranny shift points and firmness, modify rev limits and speed limits, data-log your runs in real time, etc, etc, etc. Unfortunately, as I mentioned before, to DO all those neat tune-items (like advancing spark or modifying fuel mix), you need some method of monitoring the effects of the changes to determine whether or not they help or hurt you, and the tuner will NOT tell you that without the wideband O2 sensor rig.

As a first modification, I would recommend you consider switching to stronger gears (3.73, 3.90 or 4.10 being the most popular choices, and each has its fans, depending on what sort of driving you do and what goals you have for the car). A tuner will enable you to adjust the speedo to the new gears AND yield its other benefits, so do the two mods together. Cost will be about $900-1000 including labor and all the parts for the gears.
I love it when you get on a roll :happyhapp

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I originally had a hypertech tuner for mine, and it was alright. Noticed a lil difference with the premium tune, but nothing special. But most shops highly recommend SCT, which is what i was gonna change too but i just went with a chip cuz it was 100 bucks less than the tuner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.